Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools and Repair Supplies in Your Rig

Default Tools and Repair Supplies in Your Rig

Planning driving my 109 for several hours next month. Looking for some advice on the types of things I should have in my onboard repair kit. What do you guys have for your daily drivers or for your offroad rigs?

1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Cell phone.
    Current AAA plan.
    Credit Card.
    $300 in cash
    A packed lunch and something to drink.
    ....... oh yeah, a toolbox with tools and spare parts.

If going on an extended trip I carry a well stocked tool kit, wrench set, socket set, adjustable wrench, vice grips, wire strippers/cutters, some wire/connectors, test light, multimeter, bulbs, fuses, fluids.
    I don't carry to many spare parts unless there is a known weak link. I assume I can hole up somewhere have a part shipped overnight, repair and then move on.
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Default Stuff

I did my longest trip (week) with the following listed below in a small canvas bag. I used the majority of it. This trip was my first in a series rover and I was new to it all. I had a few issues to work through and got help from some great people on this site. I learned a bunch that trip.

metric open end / box end wrenches
    phillips / flat head screw drivers (one big / one small of each)
    metric socket set
    side cutters
    pliers
    90wt gear oil
    quart motor oil
    brake fluid
    Hylomar
    PB blaster
    inline fuel filter with clamps
    extra set points / condensor
    spare coil / plug wires / cap / rotor
    2 jacks and lug wrench
    radiator hoses with clamps
    spare belt / belts
    shop manuals
    headlamp / flashlight
    cell phone
    feeler gauges
    stanley knife
    gallon of water

What I should have brought I did not bring:
    A bit of wire
    solder gun
    volt meter / test light
    AAA membership
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

I keep a toolbox filled with all sorts of tools, but the basics are a basic set of sockets and wrenches, (both metric and standard). An assortment of screw drives, of varying size, and length (the length is arguably more important that the tip size, but carry them both) a set of pliers, nippers, wire cutters, needle nose etc. and a whole whack of spare bolts nuts, screws wire connectors, electrical test lights etc. Then I keep all the tools that I have purchased over the years specifically for the rover, like gear pullers, accurate torque wrench etc..
    As for parts, I try to keep an eye on everything in the truck, and replace worn parts before they actually fail.. This way I can take the worn, but still usable parts and toss them into a big Rubbermaid tub in case I need them on the road.
    I also keep spare fluid for everything.. Coolant, gear oil, brake fluid and motor oil.
    I've only ever had to tow my rover once when the head blew. There have been times when I had to make things work in a pinch to limp home, but it's rare, and I drive my rover everywhere, and I drive it every day. It’s my only car, so I keep it in good shape as best I can. After having to tow it home that one time I got a CAA membership.
    If I had to guess at the most important things to bring, it would be fuel system parts (filters, maybe an electric pump etc) and ignition parts, like points, plugs, wires etc.
    Basically anytime I have to make a repair, I think about if I could perform the task on the road, and if not, what would I need to do so. It's not fool proof, and you could easily fill your truck with tools and parts and still not be fully prepared.

You have to remember you cant bring a whole truck, just what will get you mobile again. The best thing you can do is inspect your vehicle and if in doubt fix it. I don't worry about my hoses or u joints etc.. cause if I doubt the reliability of something I replace or repair it. Electrical is a whole different thing. Fuses blow, alternators, regulators and starters self destruct with little warning.
    I carry jumper cables, tow rope to start it.
    Extra fluids, they just vanish? (drip,drip)
    Electrical wire,splicers,fuses, electrical tools and tape (I really think Lucas was on crack!)
    Misc fasteners, safety wire,duct tape and zip ties.
    Fix a flat and compressor.
    and standard tools,lug wrench,jack,a WORKING flashlight.
    OH, extra smokes and drinks for when you're waiting on the tow truck in the middle of no where.
    1978 MOD 109

I knew this was somewhere, just had to find it.

http://www.seriestrek.com/tools.html
    Neil Hanekom
    '73 LHD 88
    '75 FFR 109 exMOD Build Photo's
    '99 D1

Quote Originally Posted by Ncrover725 View Post
    metric open end / box end wrenches
    metric socket set
    Metric? On a pre 1980's Series rig? Been replacing stock bolts with metric bolts or swapping in different assemblies?

Regular SAE wrenches and a couple Whitworth tools usually do the job.

Whitworth sizes for your truck are:

3/16 - The little nuts holding the transfercase bottom plate and I think the retaining bolts for the big swivel housing seal
    1/4 - Common use
    5/16 - Common use on the transfercase. You will need a 5/16ths socket for the nuts inside the transfercase holding it to the gearbox
    3/8 - The transfercase mounting bracket fixings and a couple other places

You might also consider a 7/16 and a 1/2 spanner. They are not as commonly used as the other sizes and you can normally get an adjustable spanner in where these nuts are located.

Here is a list I made up about a decade ago for trail runs.

In real life I have driven coast to coast in my 109 on pavement and several two thousand or so mile trips on pavement and never experienced any sort of break down on any of them. I firmly believe it is a mater of keeping your truck well maintained and in spec. They are pretty reliable if you maintain them per the factory maintenance schedule.

It is the off road trips when my tool box occasionally comes out.

Along with many of the spares and tools everyone else has listed, I carry a bottle of genuine Lucas electrical smoke. You know, just in case....

http://sjpdesigns.com/poa/lucas.html
    Seth

'67 IIa 109 Station Wagon (the daughter's toy)
    2003 XC70 (for the dog)
    2006 XC70 (for the wife/daughter/son)
    2002 650 Dakar (for trip planning purposes)