Thread: Proline radiator

Default Proline radiator

Has anyone had experience with the Proline radiator for a 1960 Series II? As much as I'd like to recore the original, the budget won't allow it.

Tom Smith

I can't speak to the "proline" radiator, but if its the same as the allmakes version (probably is), it will do the job just fine, but don't expect it to hold up for decades like the original. My allmakes one came with some bent/broken fins and surface rust in a few areas (new). When I called the vendor they said thats just how they are and there is nothing they can do. I got it for a really good price, but had I bought from RN I have no doubt my issue would have been rectified.

Just put one in my '63 SIIA. No issues/problems.

Good product for the $$. The steel of the top and bottom tanks seems to be a lighter gauge than the original equip. Truck now running 10 deg.C cooler on average and copes easily with hard/hot work (I have an 82 deg.C thermostat).

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew IIA View Post
    The steel of the top and bottom tanks seems to be a lighter gauge than the original equip
    Hopefully you mean "brass" and not "steel".
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Hopefully you mean "brass" and not "steel".
    Yea yea. 'Metal' was what I really meant

I've got a Proline 4 core radiator. Works very well. I'm in Georgia and as you can imagine, July gets VERY hot.

On the way back from wheeling over the 4th of July, I stopped for gas. I opened the hood to check the thermometer I had taped to the top radiator hose. Read 165F. This was after highway running, 34" tires on beadlocks (HEAVY!), about 4pm, July, in Georgia. BTW, I have a heavy foot so that wasn't helping either. Overall, a very hot day while the engine was being worked very hard.

Oh and it holds coolant very well.

I have the Proline 4 core on my SIII Lightweight. It is embossed with "SUCO" on the top tank. It arrived in good shape as far as the fins go, but I also found some surface rust on the brackets that I wasn't too happy about. A little sandblasting & a repaint and it was ready for installation. It seems to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
    Oh and it holds coolant very well.
    Always a bonus with a radiator!

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    Always a bonus with a radiator!
    Indeed. Lets stick to the basics

Well, I put the Proline in and it fit well; all the fastener holes lining up without any persuading. It hasn't been hot here but it seems to work well...holds alot less coolant, however.

The Series II sheet metal fan shroud fits but no longer aligns with the fan. I have a SeriesIII plastic shroud which I'll try this evening.

Thanks for all the advice.

Tom