Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Land Rover do this?

They made a carbon fiber bodied Willys concept car a few years back that had my wife doing backflips. Never made it past the magazine pics stage, so she has been bugging me ever since to make one for her.

The FC is just useless. They were useless back in 1956 and they are useless now.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post

The FC is just useless. They were useless back in 1956 and they are useless now.

They were awesome for plowing snow, great payload room to wheelbase ratio too. 170s were more useful than 150s though. Both were far from useless.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Default FC's

Useless???? Where does that come from?....Short wheel base, 4 wheel drive, great load space for size, incredible view. They were a very popular utility vehicle. Not often bought by families, most were work vehicles and as such were used up/abused. Hard to find nice ones now. Useless?...no, very useful, just not a family 4x4. J

Yeah I'll have to completely disagree with the forward control being useless. They are great utility vehicles, if they were useless the Unimog wouldn't have been in production for over 50 years.
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

After I win Megamillions tonight, im buying all of these. The FC and pickup are 2 of the coolest rigs I have ever seen. I would love to have that FC here on island, I could park and navigate the horse buggy streets like a boss.
    1970 Series IIA 109 EX-MOD
    1971 Series IIA 109 EX-MOD
    1982 Mercedes 300TD
    1989 RRC
    1993 D110
    1994 RRC LWB
    1995 RRC SWB Brooklands Edition
    1995 RRC LWB
    1995 RRC LWB
    1995 Disco
    1996 GMC 2500 Suburban
    1996 Disco
    1997 Disco
    2001 RR P38
    2005 LR3 HSE
    2006 RR HSE

I kinda agree with the "useless" statement. Unless my daily job involved traversing the Rubicon Trail or if I worked all over Moab all day, an American 1 ton pickup would be better. If nothing else, the fact that the bed of a regular 1 ton is only a few feet off the ground. In comparison, it looks like you'd have to lift something ABOVE your head to get it into the bed.

Don't get me wrong, it is super cool. But the fact that I used to have a 1/2 ton 2WD pickup and only had trouble with it ONCE off road. Otherwise, I fail to see how this is better than a 2WD pickup with a powerful V8 in it on the road. If I did have some "off road", I'd rather have a 1 ton 4WD with some mud tires. Off road for work is usually a wet field or a muddy track.

Or at least that is how it is here in the southeast. Might be different elsewhere. Would I drive one? No. It isn't one of the three jeeps I would ever own.

BTW the three jeeps I would own: The custom buggy my friend built a couple years ago (TJ), YJ, spring over with Classic Ford Broncos under it, one of those Jurassic Park Jeeps. I would DRIVE THE CRAP out of one of those .

Galloway British Columbia Canada and Jefferson City Missouri

I don't need one of these Jepp concepts. I just go out and drive my 68 109
    1968 Series IIA
    1987 D90 Kid's project
    German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)

Meanwhile Land Rover makes one off champagne themed Evoques...

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Meanwhile Land Rover makes one off champagne themed Evoques...
    Ahh! The best 4x4xfail
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

Land Rover already DID do this. The FC and any series/Defender w/ a bed are more than decent answers to both of these vehicles.

Pfff....
    Seth

'67 IIa 109 Station Wagon (the daughter's toy)
    2003 XC70 (for the dog)
    2006 XC70 (for the wife/daughter/son)
    2002 650 Dakar (for trip planning purposes)