Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Land Rover do this?

Quote Originally Posted by smukai View Post
    Land Rover already DID do this. The FC and any series/Defender w/ a bed are more than decent answers to both of these vehicles.

Pfff....
    If only they kept doing it . . .
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Default Doubt it.

With the ever changing focus of Land Rover, and (LRNA) I doubt we will ever see anything that cool come from them, to America, or ever leave their drawing boards. Most unfortunate as it is, most of the Roverphiles I know still dream about a D90 entering the North American Dollar Area again, and if we dream even harder, with Diesel engines, but I seriously doubt these dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    Most unfortunate as it is, most of the Roverphiles I know still dream about a D90 entering the North American Dollar Area again, and if we dream even harder, with Diesel engines, but I seriously doubt these dreams.
    Well fortunately the older defenders are now 25 years old and rebuilt ones can be had for a reasonable penny. I hear stories of guys getting a decent truck, shipped, paid up, plates, etc for under $15k. If this is truly the case, then cool!

I doubt anyone would buy the Defender if it were to come back to this market. Considering how the price of Land Rover's current line up has jumped, I get it would be SERIOUS $$$$.

So, big money, lack of refinement, small 4 cylinder engine, and reliability stereotype of british cars. Yeah, that will sell. Also all us rovers guys DIDN'T run for the Defenders when they were here! We still don't! Still too pricey!

Just to set the benchmark, it seems like a decked out Wrangler 4 door is ~$40k. I bet a base model 2 door defender would START at that here.

I want a brand new Defender. I really do. But I don't ever see the numbers working out

When it comes right down to it we are NOT the marketing niche Land Rover are targeting. They have moved upmarket and are making $ and apparently that marketing model is working for them. Selling sub $30k Defenders in the US to compete with the Wrangler just doesn't make sense for them. They NEEDED that gritty, rugged, go anywhere expedition image in the 1990 when they were new to the US market after abandoning us. Associating themselves with a bunch of grubby, oily, old series trucks just doesn't make them seem like the premier luxury line they are portraying themselves as indeed it would be counterproductive. They are all about comfort, chrome, cushions, and cash- not self reliance, exploring, and service.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by yorker View Post
    When it comes right down to it we are NOT the marketing niche Land Rover are targeting. They ahve moved upmarket and are making $ and apparently that marketing model is working for them. Selling sub #)k Defenders int he US to compete with the Wrangler just doesn't make sense for them. They NEEDED that gritty, rugged, go anywhere expedition image in the 1990 when they were new to the US market after abandoning us. Associating themselves with a bunch of grubby, oily, old series trucks just doesn't make them seem like the premier luxury line they are portraying themselves as indeed it would be counterproductive. They are all about comfort, chrome, cushions, and cash- not self reliance, exploring, and service.
    Agree... one other point that our new India owners might not get, is that the Market for more luxury versions of LR came from leverageing the harder core reputation that the Series/defender types gained. The more affluent saw the reputation - and wanted to leverage that to a country club version. As LR drops the more utility versions for things like the DC100, they move further from their roots and the base concepts that ultimately provided the more expensive models their cache and attractiveness niche.

m
    ---------------------------
    1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
    1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
    1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
    1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
    1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
    2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
    2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jopa View Post
    Useless???? Where does that come from?....Short wheel base, 4 wheel drive, great load space for size, incredible view. They were a very popular utility vehicle. Not often bought by families, most were work vehicles and as such were used up/abused. Hard to find nice ones now. Useless?...no, very useful, just not a family 4x4. J
    You obviously never had one. My FIL owned three, and they were junk.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    You obviously never had one. My FIL owned three, and they were junk.
    So are Land Rovers but you've stuck with them. There was nothing wrong with the original FCs. Short wheel base, great turning radius, high payload capacities, decent axles on the 170s. Easy to drive, great position for seeing what you were doing when plowing. The M-677 were really nice.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

I like forward controls. A 101" has always been on my short list. They are so ugly they're beautiful!

As far as the heep FC150/170 being junk or not you know what they say...
    One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdoiron View Post
    Agree... one other point that our new India owners might not get, is that the Market for more luxury versions of LR came from leverageing the harder core reputation that the Series/defender types gained. The more affluent saw the reputation - and wanted to leverage that to a country club version. As LR drops the more utility versions for things like the DC100, they move further from their roots and the base concepts that ultimately provided the more expensive models their cache and attractiveness niche.

m
    I completely and wholeheartedly agree with the above statement.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2