Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stage1 alternate CV successful so far

Default Stage1 alternate CV successful so far

Well, no pics but….
    I’ve finally finished the substitution of the Stage1 CV joint with the early defender AEU2522 CV joint. Looking on one UK website that has both part numbers, there is a significant price difference 30 pound vs 300 pounds. So it was well worth investigating an alternative.
    Looking at both CVs externally they look virtually identical with the only apparent difference being the length of the splined shaft. I did not measure the exact difference but can tell you that the AEU2522 shaft is just short enough that it does not protrude out of the end of the drive flange when installed. In fact the splined shaft sits about 1/8 to3/16 of an inch short of the outside of the drive flange.
    My plan was to use a large fender washer and an appropriately sized bolt with some loctite to hold the shaft in place. After searching around I could not find the correct bolt. 10mm was too small, 12mm was too large, 11mm may have worked but could not find one locally. SAE sizes also did not work. The final solution was to run a 7/16 fine thread tap down the hole and use a 7/16 bolt with a large fender washer and some loctite. Got it all zipped up at SCARR and ran a full day of trails with no issues.

Sounds great. And yes, some pictures would be useful.

Does mean you also got the disks, or are you still using drums?
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Still running drums. My front axle is actually a Salisbury front axle but everthing starting with the swivel balls outward are Stage 1 parts for some reason. I'll get off my lazy butt and go snap some pics for you.

Pics added

You can see in the first pic that the shaft does not protrude past the drive flange as intended. The next two pics show the "fix" to hold the shaft from wandering.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Would you have a 101 FC or One Ton front end then?
    Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE

I believe it's a one ton series III salisbury front axle. Swivel balls bolt on and it's got 4.7:1 gearing but it is a bit wider than the standard series width.

I'm pretty sure Series III 1 tons had Rover front ends- maybe you have one of the front ends off of a Shorland? In any case it is cool- take some more pics of the front end if you can.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

That would be right. The One Ton's with the 900x16 tyres needed the stronger front diff.
    Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE

Yeah I guess the suffix c and later Series III 1 tons had the Rover front axles. When I last knew all of them were thought to have had them.

http://www.onetonlandrover.co.uk/dev.html
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by yorker View Post
    I'm pretty sure Series III 1 tons had Rover front ends- maybe you have one of the front ends off of a Shorland? In any case it is cool- take some more pics of the front end if you can.
    I'll dig up some more pics or take some and post. I've made some modifications to move the springs above the axles and to move the steering linkage above the axle as well. Oh yeah I also added power steering.