Thread: Zinc primers / rusty rovers..

Default Zinc primers / rusty rovers..

Here's a nice article, for anyone wanting more in depth info about zinc rich primer systems..

It's long so may be just the ticket for the long wait while saving your pennies for a galv chassis.
    http://www.jotun.com/www/com/2002011...nc+primers.pdf

Anyone have a recommended Zinc primer available in "consumer" quantities for brush/rolling on? I'd like to try something more legit than the red rusto primer..

~Steve

1964 Series IIa In progress
    1968 S IIa (Sold)
    1972 S III (Sold)
    1996 Discovery SE-7 (Sold)

That looks like some tough stuff.. no zinc though. Do you have firsthand experience with it?

~Steve

as extra insurance and most likelyt overkill I did my galvanized frame with mastercoat silver then used tractorcoat ag-11 in satin finish over that. I have recently had my bulkhead fixed and brought back to spec. Had it sprayed with mastercoat 2 coats then 3 coats of dupont pastel green over that.
    All this should last a long time.
    After reviewing the salt spray test results that is pretty much what sold me on the product
    call mastercoat if you have questions Pat is a nice guy and will be happoy to answer any questions you have.
    I have used POR-15 in the past but found that after awhile it peeled off in sheets..I do not expect any problems like that with this product. I can not attest to long term results on the rover but if its good enough for bridges it should be perfect fo rthe rover
    and as an added benefit it is much less expensive than POR..
    1968 S IIa (Sold)
    1972 S III (Sold)

as extra insurance and most likely overkill. I did my galvanized frame with mastercoat silver then used tractorcoat ag-11 in satin finish over that. I have recently had my bulkhead fixed and brought back to spec. Had it sprayed with mastercoat 2 coats then 3 coats of dupont pastel green over that.
    After reviewing the salt spray test results that is pretty much what sold me on the product
    call mastercoat if you have questions Pat is a nice guy and will be happoy to answer any questions you have.
    I have used POR-15 in the past but found that after awhile it peeled off in sheets..I do not expect any problems like that with this product. I can not attest to long term results on the rover but if its good enough for bridges it should be perfect fo rthe rover
    1968 S IIa (Sold)
    1972 S III (Sold)

as extra insurance and most likely overkill, I did my galvanized frame with mastercoat silver then used tractorcoat ag-11 in satin finish over that. I have recently had my bulkhead fixed and brought back to spec. Had it sprayed with mastercoat 2 coats then 3 coats of dupont pastel green over that.
    1968 S IIa (Sold)
    1972 S III (Sold)

I have NO idea as to why my reply showed up 3x anyway have a look at these websites I think it will have what you are asking for

http://www.zrcworldwide.com/p_galvilite.asp

http://www.aervoe.com/paints_coating...teel-Coatings/
    1968 S IIa (Sold)
    1972 S III (Sold)

Great links, thanks Skeeball!!

~Steve

NO problem my pleasure
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Revtor View Post
    Great links, thanks Skeeball!!