my oil pressure gauge was giving what i thought were weird readings; it would rise to ~35psi on start up and generally remain there, not increase w/ engine revs nor decrease much at hot idle. This was with the prior owners Castrol 20w-50. The vehicle has ~70k miles (which we believe to be accurate judging by overall condition) and the Rocky Mountain spin on conversion with a Purolater 25195. I suspected the sender so to test i grounded the sensor wire and the needle went to full deflection...slowly. i was almost sure it was the sender. So I ordered a new one, found out my existing one was barely tight and installed the new one. I did an oil change, M1 15w-50 and a K&N filter (had a coupon...and they are a decent filter) that x-ref'd to the Purolater and the OE Rover one. Started it up and the gauge does the same thing.

The low oil pressure light behaves as it should. The engine is surprisingly quiet, it is actually less clattery, if that is a word, then my 41k mile TR6. I don't think i have a major mechanical issue, but i am puzzled.

i am thinking that it could be the voltage stabilizer, but the temp gauge appears to respond normally but hasn't gone further up than the lower third of the 'normal' zone, but i also have not driven in weather above 60dg or so.

thoughts?

w