Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 14 year old seeking advice!

That's right Ebben, there isn't an easy way to do this, but as Charles said, it gives you an opportunity to do the other things that need doing. Take this chance to do all of the jobs that need doing, and do them right the first time.
    Harvey

I think I have read that some people cut the seal open, and instal it with the cut facing up. that allows you to avoid the disasembly. I'm sure others will chime in on this, and whether is is a bad idea or not. If there is any pitting on the swivel balls, it will tear up your new seal in short order though, so you are probably best off taking it all apart to repair or replace the swivel balls.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    I think I have read that some people cut the seal open, and instal it with the cut facing up. that allows you to avoid the disasembly. I'm sure others will chime in on this, and whether is is a bad idea or not. If there is any pitting on the swivel balls, it will tear up your new seal in short order though, so you are probably best off taking it all apart to repair or replace the swivel balls.
    TerriAnn...
    http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRhubseal.htm

Also, the epoxy filler technique is mentioned.

Here it is in more detail:
    http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...e-swivel-balls
    http://www.d-90.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37019

I will add my two cents...if you got everything apart go ahead and do the seal right, don't cut it.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

thanks everyone for your advice. i think we are going to pull the swivels and do the jb weld trick!

now on tires... i had a set, but the tire place decided that it wasn't good to put them on, and they they said they wouldn't sooo.... we're in the market for some cheap tires. the only thing is that they'll fit on a LR well, and have some bite to them. (i have a job up a steep driveway, and in the winter it'd be nice to take the rover up ).

any help will be great!

thanks!
    ebben

There are plenty of threads on the forum that discuss what tires fit well.

Do you have 15" or 16"?

Do a search for "tires" on here. I am partial to Toyo open country

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

we have 15" rims. i did a search and we're having trouble finding cheap!

Tires, along with brakes, are one of those areas that you definitely don't want to cheap on. You'll find that mud tires are redonkulously expensive, due to the fact that they have much more rubber in them than a comparable road tire. In addition they usually have more plies as well as stronger sidewalls.
    There are plenty of choices for 15 inch wheels. Generally speaking, Goodrich mud terrains, Goodyear KM2s are the top choices. For a little more streetability try Goodyear Dura Trac.

we ended up getting hercules terra trac.... was a bargain at $101/tire PLUS free shipping! hopefully they'll work well. now off to the tire shop to have them put on the rims, and then the rover gets to be towed into the shop so that it the frame can be welded!

ebben