Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 14 year old seeking advice!

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Ha, well the first thing you will learn is that "free" never means "free" or cheap.
    i know... i just learned that with my free polaris sled and $1 sailboat.

just for everyone's entertainment, heres one of my short movies!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA5KSRnrgyo

going to work on the rover a little this afternoon, so i'll post some pictures this afternoon.

ebben

Just watched the youtube...
    This kid is going to have everyone on this forum liking him...

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Ebben,
    Get us pics of the land rover. Crawl all over that thing and snap pics of everything you can. Some of the "crucial" areas that we would like to see are the bulkhead (firewall) and the frame.

A new frame is going to be about $2000+ and the bulkhead is going to be hard to find, if they are not repairable.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Quote Originally Posted by crankin View Post
    Ebben,
    Get us pics of the land rover. Crawl all over that thing and snap pics of everything you can. Some of the "crucial" areas that we would like to see are the bulkhead (firewall) and the frame.

A new frame is going to be about $2000+ and the bulkhead is going to be hard to find, if they are not repairable.
    will do that this afternoon. the firewall if fine, thanks god. the frame is shot in some places, but we can weld (dad and i) and we have a friend who works around the clock on jeeps. hopefully between the three of us we can weld it, but if not, we may have a problem. i can't put $2000 into just the frame. i'm hoping it's a gem in the dust and that i'll only have to put in $2000 TOTAL!

pics this afternoon...

ebben

Ebben

By no means are you required to buy a new frame.. hopefully yours is repairable, if not a little trolling and you can find a good used or repairable frame for sale here in N.E., they are around. Don't be discouraged by the $$ amounts everyone throws around here, you seem to have a pretty good grip on things at the old age of 14 I am sure you and your dad and his connections will have no problem figuring out how to get that thing going. Best of luck I think your Series will be right at home alongside you in VT..you have found your way into a really great community, there is a lot of free stuff around here too.. especially advice wrong or right. Can't wait to see pics and a final product.

Best

Wow this thread is getting popular,
    So here I go, Not hitting the rover addiction till later in life, I learned a few important things. Read, Read, and read some more. The RIGHT information is critical. Don't waste your time with people or periodicals that think they know what they are talking about.
    Take you time, tooooo many projects get muffed up because of people trying to meet ridiculous deadlines that they make themselves. Buy and use the right tools, cheap and ineffective tools make the easiest job harder. Employ help when needed, and keep in mind British cars, (trucks) are different, just different. Enjoy your project and ask when you are not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by giftshopduane View Post
    Don't be discouraged by the $$ amounts everyone throws around here... I am sure you and your dad and his connections will have no problem figuring out how to get that thing going.
    Just repeating this. ^^

Those things were made to be repaired in a field, and I know they can be because I've done it. Unless you want to build a show pony that is "original" and better than new, then frankly there are lots of parts that can be made, or made to fit.

I know plenty of people around here who, when they need new parts, they make them. I have done that myself.

You can throw as much money at a project as you like, or as little as you can. All depends on how much you are prepared to compromise on "originality". We call people who insist on everything being just as it was when it left the factory "rivet counters"
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Hi Ebben,

Looking forward to the photos.

Looking at this thread and having watched your you tube film, it is obvious that you are a very capable 14 year old and I look forward to your thread on rebuilding the landy.

I assume that your Dad has taught you the skills that you have acquired. If so you are very fortunate. Your Dad and you are a shining example.

Well done, shame we don't have more like you in the UK.

Regards Brian

last night, we took out all of the spark plugs and put kerosene in the pistons. then, when we checked the oil there was some thick sludge in the bottom. it didn't seem to have water in it... does anyone know what this is or how we can thin it out so we can drain the oil?

we forgot to bring the camera, so no pics yet. probably sunday when we bring it home.

ironically, we have two friends in our town that have the EXACT SAME ROVER! and they both swear by rover's north!

i don't have much to work with, because my dad does things like so: this isn't staged, its his pure geniusness at workName:  DSCN2882.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  214.2 KB he told me to throw that in for your enjoyment.

pictures on sunday...

ebben

How did he miss that?