Thread: Diesel at high altitude?

Default Diesel at high altitude?

Planning on taking a 2.5n.a. diesel out to wyoming will be leaving it out there for use on trips and for the wife to use. Is there anything that can our should be done to tune a diesel for higher altitude operation? Currently it's on the east coast near sea level. New home will be at 5K feet and the surrounding area is even higher.

You'll lose power. Not much you can do about that. You'll notice more black smoke at altitude. If it's a problem you can correct that by turning the fuel screw out (counter clockwise). I've also heard people say that a timing adjustment will help, but I haven't done it to mine.
    '55 SI 86

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have about a week to play with it while I'm out there. I may run it up to some higher altitudes to see how it does. The highest pass in reasonable proximity is about 11K feet. It will live mostly betweek 5K and 8K. BTW, about how much power will it loose?

Thanks again.

Default How are you getting it out there

How are you getting it out there! If you are having it shipped, may I ask the cost and who the carrier is. I also live on the east coast. I am bringing my Lightweight to Colorado this summer and am starting to look for shippers.

I'll be trailering it out probably in late June, so I don't have any info on shippers. Not sure when you are taking the lightweight out there or where on the east coast you are but I may be able to scrounge up a longer trailer to borrow.

I did check the manual last night and it talked about adjusting for every 330 some meters over 990 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by slorocco View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll have about a week to play with it while I'm out there. I may run it up to some higher altitudes to see how it does. The highest pass in reasonable proximity is about 11K feet. It will live mostly betweek 5K and 8K. BTW, about how much power will it loose?

Thanks again.
    Rule of thumb is about 3% for every 1000 ft of elevation. You'll notice it.
    '55 SI 86

Hello Slorocco. I am heading out to Colorado about mid July. Are you towing your Rover yourself?

Blackhawkrover; Yup, I'll be pulling it out myself. I've got the trip from Southern Maryland to Cody, Wy down to a 2 day trip the last few times, but that's 2 long days.

Meatblanket; Thanks for the tip, that make sense.