Thread: How do i change the auxiliary belt?

Default How do i change the auxiliary belt?

I want to replace the old auxiliary belt in my 03 Discovery, but I can't figure out how to take the fan off to get to the tensioner pully. The fan has a clutch on it. That's what has me stumped. I bout the specialty tool from our hosts part site. Thought that was all I needed. Is the wrench supposed to be used on the clutch? Anybody ever delt with thi before?

What tool are you using? I looked at the RN site and couldn't find the correct tool offered. The Rover tool is actually 2 wrenches, one goes on the big nut on the clutch, the other is an even bigger wrench that holds the clutch hub in place. I bought mine years ago when I worked at a LR dealership (the shop had a set but I could never find it so I bought my own). I've since retired. It is possible to get the S belt off without removing the fan but it's a lot easier if you do. You might try jamming a long screwdriver between a couple of the attaching bolts on the fan clutch, never tried that but it might work. GL
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

Yeah, I got the double ended wrench. Which doesn't work on the clutch. I rented a specialty tool from autozone that didn't fit either. Thanks for the info. Is there a site you know of that offers Land Rover specialty tools by chance? I googled it but couldn't find anything useful. The tool that RN sells isn't for the clutch then?

Quote Originally Posted by neifert2006 View Post
    Yeah, I got the double ended wrench. Which doesn't work on the clutch. I rented a specialty tool from autozone that didn't fit either. Thanks for the info. Is there a site you know of that offers Land Rover specialty tools by chance? I googled it but couldn't find anything useful. The tool that RN sells isn't for the clutch then?
    The only place I know to get the tool is an authorised LR dealer. The tool is made for both diesel and petrol, I've attached a picture. The double open end wrench is part number LRT-12-094 and the petrol end is 36mm (this is the one that fits on the big hex nut on the fan, the other wrench(bottom one) is part number LRT-12-093 there's no size on it but it fits around the hex nut and the holes fit over the studs and nuts on the clutch to hold it in place. The thread on the hub is standard RH threaded so lefty loosey (as you're looking at it). IIRC I paid $75.00 for both of them 11 years ago. HTH

Name:  Rover parts may 2012 005 (Small).JPG
Views: 1406
Size:  38.7 KB
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A