Thread: Starter Motor removal - Jan 1999 model

Default Starter Motor removal - Jan 1999 model

Geez these are hard to get too!!

I have got the bottom bolt out but is there a knack to the top bolt -
    a) locating on it to get it out when you cannot even SEE the darn thing, and
    b) is it some goofy kind of bolt any way? It feels fairly round and I am wondering if this top bolt is maybe some sort of allen key head rather than a hex head. The bottom one was a hex head but if no one has ever been near the top bolt it may be different. I would love to have some guidance as to how to get on this bolt and get it out please.

The manual shows extension bars coming out to the front of the car ... but there is an engine mount in the way of doing that!!

Thanks

Paul

Well I now know that the bolt I thought was the lower one wasnt.

The motor is held in by 2 5/16 allen bolts so now I have the right socket and know where the top and bottom one are I will have a go at removing them tomorrow now.

Still puzzling about how to get to the top one that is in a really stupid position so if any one has a clever idea I am open to suggestions.

Paul

I've found the easiest for me is to use enough extension so the ratchet handle is just in front of the diff.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I've found the easiest for me is to use enough extension so the ratchet handle is just in front of the diff.
    Thanks - the top one though is a heck of an angle to get on is it not? I will give it a try later today.

Thanks Tom - I managed to get it out tonight. But WHO was the idiot who designed that part of the motor?? They couldnt have made it any more inaccessible ... could they??

I'll bet it is an absolute PIG to reinstall isnt it or is there a tip to getting those damn silly bolts in where you cannot see please?

Paul

They've gone back in for me easily enough, using just the allen socket and a 12" extension (no handle) to get them started.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    They've gone back in for me easily enough, using just the allen socket and a 12" extension (no handle) to get them started.
    Hi Tom

That is a relief! How do you manage though to get to the top one? Do you take the aluminum shield off the exhaust pipe?

Paul

I have used a short 3 to 5 inch extension, this come out just after the starter... then I attach a universal joint... to that joint I attach a longer extension and voila...ps I use 3/8 drive and impact u joint... sometimes I even use impact gun.. faster easier and no busted knuckles...

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I have used a short 3 to 5 inch extension, this come out just after the starter... then I attach a universal joint... to that joint I attach a longer extension and voila...ps I use 3/8 drive and impact u joint... sometimes I even use impact gun.. faster easier and no busted knuckles...
    Thanks - will probably reference this when I get the starter back in a week or so and I will post back then on my success!

Getting it back in was much easier than I expected and easier than getting it out.

I think the main cause though was probably a battery that held about as much charge as a bottomless bucket!

Thanks