Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes OM617

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Aronson View Post
    I've been asked to step into this thread with my experiences with my '66 II-A, so I offer these experiences:

<BIG SNIP>

Together with a good tune-up, my fuel mileage is as high as 18-19 mpg [highway driving at 60 mph], and as low as 14 mpg [pulling a loaded trailer at slow speeds all day].

My experience tells me there's nothing inherently fragile about a Land Rover 2.25 petrol engine or transmission, especially with today's oils. My experiences with my self-maintained engine and transmission have demonstrated their strengths to me.
    Jeff I don't think anyone is arguing that the Rover 2.25l petrol engine isn't built to last. I think every pro mechanic who first opens one up remarks about how seriously overbuilt the engine is. And I agree that with proper maintenance the engine will keep running long past the point where others won't even start.

My personal beef was that the engine is not powerful enough to be safe pushing a 109 Dormobile in traffic when everything around you had 2X to 3.5X the power. I personally went to a higher power engine for safety in some of the places I drive and I hate failed climbs because the engine just grinds to a stop.

The Series gearbox was considered quite robust and advanced when it was first used by Rover in 1932. The design has undergone a number of upgrades since then and the box seemed a good match for a topless 80 inch SI with its 1.6L petrol engine.

But with the SII the body got a lot heavier, especially the 109 stationwagons. The 2.25L engine was a decent power increase over the original 1.6L engine. Rover uprated the gearbox a few times. Early gearboxes tend to break lay shafts and main shafts at the circlip groove positions. Late 2A lay shafts without the circlip groove are stronger than the early ones. By the D suffix the SII box got about as robust as it was going to get. But even then it is reliable for only up to about 120 HP and 160 lbft of torque.

As you say it is plenty good for a Series 2.25l engine and even a 2.5L upgrade and at 200/300 tdi stretches it close to its reliable limit.

I agree completely that a stock 2.25L engine with stock LR gearbox all with genuine LR parts is a reasonably reliable combination that if treated properly and well maintained can last for many many miles. Uprated rear axles would really help though. If this is the performance envelope you feel comfortable with and have access to genuine parts then it is a good solution.

However, Rover has been happily discontinuing genuine parts for Series rigs and the aftermarket parts available for SII gearboxes are proving to be substandard. Too many people are rebuilding gearboxes these days and having aftermarket component failure within a year of heavy use. I think that's why so many people are looking for alternatives to a Series gearbox these last few years.

As for your 18-19 mpg [highway driving at 60 mph] figure, I'm guessing it is a little high unless you are running an 88 with spare on bonnet, no roof rack, a Weber one barrel out of the box and possibly a soft top. Oh and you are driving 100% petrol and are below 3000 feet. Add good street tyres and that is about as good as it gets. A lot of the time a Weber right out of the box is a little under jetted. Have you had a sniffer put up the pipe & got an air:fuel ratio test?

Alcohol gas blends alway decrease mileage from 100% pure petrol.

I agree the thread's starter has got some issues going on with 12 MPG IF HE IS TALKING HIGHWAY MILES ONLY. I think 12 MPG COMBINED highway and city is fairly common for most people. I think most Series rigs get between 14 and 17 MPG highway depending upon their configuration, weight, tyres and state of tune. Those claiming 20-22 MPG highway are likely figuring imperial gallons or running real lean and cruising for a bruising in the form of burnt valves or a hole in a piston.

If you are happy with the performance of a 2.25L engine, don't over stress your drive train and have a source of 100% genuine parts, I agree the stock drive train is good and reliable. Except for the 10 spline rear axles. You will never get me to say good things about them other than they make good pry bars. But 12 MPG combined mileage is pretty much ball park for a stock Series rig.

Some of us look for more and I think that is what this thread is all about.

Sorry ti hi-jack the post a little bit but I sometimes think about a conversion in mine and no-one semms to have done it like I think. If I was to do it I would try to find a Toyota 22r engine and 5 speed gearbox and drop it there and forget about it. Should be pretty easy to fit..

Quote Originally Posted by martindktm View Post
    Sorry ti hi-jack the post a little bit but I sometimes think about a conversion in mine and no-one semms to have done it like I think. If I was to do it I would try to find a Toyota 22r engine and 5 speed gearbox and drop it there and forget about it. Should be pretty easy to fit..
    That has been done before but every time I'm aware of it was done with the transfer case too. Matt Stoffregen's: http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/fe...r/viewall.html
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
    The Series gearbox was considered quite robust and advanced when it was first used by Rover in 1932. The design has undergone a number of upgrades since then and the box seemed a good match for a topless 80 inch SI with its 1.6L petrol engine. But even then it is reliable for only up to about 120 HP and 160 lbft of torque.
    As you say it is plenty good for a Series 2.25l engine and even a 2.5L upgrade and at 200/300 tdi stretches it close to its reliable limit.
    I'm curious where these figures come from? I've seen them passed around as fact for years but have never seen any indication that Land Rover's engineers considered them to be the case. If they did then why bother to develop the LT95 for the RRC and 101? The original incarnation of the LR 3.5l v8 is pretty anemic at 91bhp (net) at 3,500 rpm 166 lb ft at 2,000 rpm. The most powerful engine the transmissions were ever meant to cope with was the 2.6l at a paltry 83bhp (net) at 4,500 rpm 128 lb ft at 1,500 rpm. Considering the troubles Land Rover was having in the 1970's they wouldn't have designed and used a new transmission unless they really felt it was necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------

As for 2.25 mpg claims you can get a better idea of how they do on a whole by searching through Fuelly and the other MPG tracking sites. Neil (Moses) is one person who has well documented his mpg pretty well and incorporated some reasonable upgrades in his 88's 2.25.
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/drfisher/series-iii

Scott Osta has done a decent job of tracking his MPG with his 2.25 propelled 109 ambulance
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/osta/series-ii

Contrast them to Solemn Warning's:
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/solemnwarning/series-ii

I know for a fact that Solemn's consist of short 10-25 mile trips so I'd be inclined to consider his MPG at the worst end of the spectrum.

I'd love to see more people post and track their MPG there, it would be interesting to see the results compiled over time, the sample right now is too small to be anything more than interesting but not statistically significant.

Land Rover UK Forums

My primary concern at this point is the gearbox. If I'm going to go through the trouble of the swap, I want to know that my gearbox is up to the task. I'm currently considering the smaller Mercedes diesel (615?) or maybe just putting in a turner block when i need it, and leave the swap till I have the time to swap in a stronger gearbox, and swap out the axles as well.
    Right now I have a tuner gas flowed head in the truck, that I just replaced, and have maybe 1000 miles on, so I would really only need their 3/4 option. This would be the cheapest and easiest option, but I will have to address my fuel consumption. I could also explore possibly fitting a 2.5 cam.
    I am in fact getting 12 miles per gallon. I have checked it a dozen or more times. What I normally do is fill up the tank, drive about 4 hours with my iPhone running a gps app that tells me exactly how far I've gone, then I fill up again and see how much I can fit in the tank. It's about as accurate as I can get it, and it's always 12 mpg or slightly less. This is driving at 100km/h for about 2.5 hours, and 80-90km/h for 1.5 hours. So it's not full out for the whole way, but nearly.
    I think I need to get a reading on my emissions to figure out what needs doing, as I don't want to risk burning a valve or worse by running too lean.
    If I could get my mileage up to the high teens, or better on the highway, I'd be happy, at least with the mileage. Power is a different story..

Quote Originally Posted by yorker View Post
    I'm curious where these figures come from? I've seen them passed around as fact for years but have never seen any indication that Land Rover's engineers considered them to be the case. If they did then why bother to develop the LT95 for the RRC and 101? The original incarnation of the LR 3.5l v8 is pretty anemic at 91bhp (net) at 3,500 rpm 166 lb ft at 2,000 rpm. The most powerful engine the transmissions were ever meant to cope with was the 2.6l at a paltry 83bhp (net) at 4,500 rpm 128 lb ft at 1,500 rpm. Considering the troubles Land Rover was having in the 1970's they wouldn't have designed and used a new transmission unless they really felt it was necessary.
    I can't answer for Teriann, but I've always assumed those numbers where a result of trial and error putting different engines into land rovers over the years.

I can speak from real world experience having already done what you're thinking about with a lot of help/advice from Jim Young. I transplanted a 240D engine into a SII 88, used a reman. SIII tranny from Rovers North and installed a Fairey OD. The truck returns low to mid twenties MPG around town. I've clocked just over 6000 miles to date.............two oil changes, diesel fuel, and one burned out glow plug.............it's a wonderful combo IMHO. The truck will not out perform a good running 2.25, but I'm pretty sure it will out last the 2.25 long term. The conversion is not without it's challenges. problem solving, aggravations, etc., however, if asked whether I would do it again the answer would be absolutely. Tons of info. at SeriesTrek and Jims thread on Expedition Portal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3313.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	6404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3624.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	6405

^^^^Don't listen to this guy^^^^
    He's cRaZy!!!
    (but he does nice work!)

I think the 4cyl Mercedes like Jim has in his 88 makes a lot of sense for what you want to do. Depending which one you get they have more or less the same power as a 2.25 Diesel all the way "up to" a 2.25p. Before I embarked upon that though I'd go through the 2.25 and see if I couldn't find a way to improve it. Maybe there is something simple you are overlooking. What carb do you use?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G2986/
    http://www.scirocco.org/tech/misc/afgauge/af.html

Land Rover UK Forums

That 4 cylinder diesel makes sense. That would satisfy the mileage issue indeed, however, it leaves a bit to be desired on the power end. I thing I might be asking for trouble swapping in the merc om617 without also upgrading the rest of the driveline. In the end, I do want to have more power. Hmmmm.

I use a webber 34ich, and it might be running a tad on the rich side, but not by much, if any.
    I have a very slight intermittent miss, based on listening to my exhaust, but I also have the upgraded stainless exhaust sold by RN which is a bit bigger and louder than stock, so it's hard to really tell if it's missing.
    I have the timing dialed in pretty good, with no detonation under load, but good power.