Thread: Engine / Transmission Problems

Default Engine / Transmission Problems

I have a 99D2 with 98K. Within the past 500 miles I replaced the headgaskets, had a valve job and also replace the transmission temp sensor as the light had come on the binacle.

So far I've driven it with no problems.

Today, I we pack up the disco and head to the adirondacks pulling my popup camper (2300 lbs) and had kayaks on the SD rack. I'm about 60 miles from home and make my way up a long incline on the interstate. The truck does slow down pulling the weight, but that's not unusal. On the way down everything is fine, until I pull off on our exit. About 1/2 down the exit the engine shuts down, I get a check engine light and the (S) and (M) transmission lights are flashing. I try to restart the truck and it won't start. The engine did not overheat. I pulled the + side of the battery hoping to reset the codes to no avail. But after about 30 mins, the truck cranks up with the CEL still on and I'm able to drive it about 2-3 miles. I stop at a Ford Dealer and try to see if they would let me borrow their OBDII scanner, but they won't. Again the truck won't start. After awhile it does start again. I try and drive to a local shop who says they will let me borrow their scanner. I make it 2-3 miles again and it shuts down. Fortunately, I'm close enough and the let me borrow their OBDII Scanner. At this point I notice the (S) and (M) lights are no longer on. The Scanner gives me the Code P1884. That seems to be some sort of generic code. Arrrg!

I get AAA to haul the Rover, camper and family home. Bummer, the kayak and camping trip to the Adirdondacks is ruined! I'm really bummin'

Once home I start the truck up and it's running fine. I did have the guy clear the code. Any ideas on what might have happened?

Not sure about the P1884 CAN message invalid?... but the rest sounds like a possible bad battery or even a bad connection to the battery.
    Joey
    97 Disco
    10 MCCSm
    Custom Rover Accessories
    Home of the D2 horn buttons