Thread: Birmabright thickness

Default Birmabright thickness

Anyone know the thickness of the birmabright panels on series rovers in decimal, fraction, or gauge form?

18g, as measured on my 64 and 69 wings. Caliper reads .040"
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Depends upon which Series. The SII (not A) panels are thicker than the IIA and it is possible the SIII is a tad thinner yet. I believe they switched to a cheaper aluminum alloy starting with Defenders, and the aftermarket panels seem to be made from light duty aluminum foil.

The Birmabright Works closed in 1980. :^(

gene

Quote Originally Posted by ignotus View Post
    The Birmabright Works closed in 1980. :^(

gene
    that explains so much!! thanks!!

they say that many many manufacturer's made an exact same formula of alloy....but I
    tend to disagree. My uncle used to be a managing engineer at AlCOA...and he says that while they did have an aluminum and magnesium (I fpget the alcoa #), it was the ratios between the three metals (aluminum, magnesium and manganese) that varied slightly between manufacturers...even though they weren't supposed to.

I think Birmabright Ltd(or whatever they were called officially) had just hit upon the perfect ratio of those three metals...maybe wth just enough manganese to counter all but very minimal oxidation.
    1970 Series IIA 88".,...the REAL Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.