Thread: leaf spring lubrication

Default leaf spring lubrication

I am in the process of installing new leaf spring on my 71 slll. The old pair do not have enough lift in them to keep the rover level when I hook up my utility camping trailer. I have done alot of searching for the best method to keep dirt out of them and prevent rusting. Some threads suggest wd40, old engine oil, teflon tape between the leaves, wrapping them after lubrication (with leather or canvas, ala rolls royce). no lubrication, painting them. por 15, etc.. I wanted something I could use that excluded water, prevented rust, was slippery,and wouldn't hold dirt. I thought I would share with you what I've decided to do. there is a DUPONT product called "chain saver" it uses teflon and molybedelum (sp?) to lubricate and a wax carrier that repells water and salt, safe for use on rubber, will be dry after application. I will seperate the leaves before application. this product has a large following with motorcycle racers an other off road folks. seems to be the answer I was looking for, dry and slippery, repells water etc. Home depot sell the non-spray in a 5 ounce bottle. but didn't carry the spray version with the wax carrier in a spray can. ended up ordering it from the local harley davidson dealer,$ 6.99 a can. you may have better luck finding the spray version locally, as I live in fairbanks AK. so have limited access to multiple retailers and inventories. so if your thinking about greasing up you leaves give this stuff a try, like slippery waxoil..any addition input will be considered, but not nessisarily followed, rove on,over 40 years driving the same rover. ROVE ON, bobzinak..

I took my original springs apart, cleaned them derusted them, painted with masterseries (similar to POR-15), top coated black and put spring liner between the leaves to keep them from sticking and allow them to move more easily. Got the liner from summit racing. Ive read that the UHMW tape thats recommended is too thin and will shred and fall out, which is why I went with the liner. I may also use a lubricant, like yours, to keep them from getting rusty. Can't speak to the effectiveness of the liner as my rover is still being restored.

There are two schools of thought. Lubricant so they move freely and don't rust and lubricant attracts dirt and grit which makes them wear.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

The best thing you can do for leaf springs is use them.

the lubricant I was refering to . dupont chain saver, is a DRY lubricant with a wax carrier to keep the lubrcant adhered. designed for use on motorcycle chains. it repels water, does not hold dirt, and has a rust peventative. so it is an easy way to take care of your spring, wether they are already installed, off the vehicle, disassembled, or what ever. While the slip tape may be the best long term answer, the practicality of taking apart springs may be daunting to some. "chain saver" by dupont, look up the reviews and comments. deside for yourself..

I like that idea. Is this the one you mean?
    http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr...ubricants.html

OME do leaf spring wear pads. I don't know if they affect the spring geometry:
    http://arbusa.wordpress.com/2011/02/...ures-benefits/
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Alan, yes, thats the stuff. dupont also makes it without the wax carrier, but I think that it will stay in place, prevent rust and last alot longer. ROVE ON bobzinak..

Quote Originally Posted by disco2hse View Post
    I like that idea. Is this the one you mean?
    http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr...ubricants.html

OME do leaf spring wear pads. I don't know if they affect the spring geometry:
    http://arbusa.wordpress.com/2011/02/...ures-benefits/
    Do OME make series leaf springs anymore? They used to. No one here has carried them since the 1990s though.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by albersj51 View Post
    Ive read that the UHMW tape thats recommended is too thin and will shred and fall out, which is why I went with the liner.
    Mine has been between my springs for about 15 years now and are still there and doing their anti friction thing. They are a little ragged at the ends where they are not covered by both springs but the stuff between the leaves appears to be still working just fine.

I will admit I have not used the stuff from Mc Master & carr so I do not know for sure how their thickness compares to what I am using. I got mine from a materials engineer who got it from one of his suppliers.

I am a proponent of good old used oil. Does it collect dust? Well, yes it does. But with regular pressure washing and brushing the muck on they do last longer. My uncle did just that to a thick leaf pack when looking after school buses. They had to keep strict records on this stuff and they got 5 years more than left alone. Just don't tell anyone when I cross a creek.