Thread: Thermostat?

Default Thermostat?

So, I have the front end pulled apart and I'm getting the radiator repaired and all, so I pulled the thermostat housing off to clean everything and put a new thermostat in. I was told that I would need to check what temp to get based off of the thermostat that was in there....

...no thermostat!

(I always did wonder why it took so long to warm up while idling.)

So, now what?

1965 IIa with a 2.25.

Install a thermostat?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

There are 2 different temp t-stats. If you live in a warm climate you may want a summer/cooler one. If a cooler climate a warmer/winter one. Either will work wherever you are, though.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at, which thermostat to use? I could ask my local mechanic, but I was thinking I might order online before I get a chance to go to the shop.

Thanks,

Some people run the cooler one in the summer and change to the hotter one in the winter. Im too lazy for that.

lol hardly surprising. There are those who think engineers know nothing and if they have problems with overheating, its because the have a thermostat. So they remove it, duh.

82șC seems to be the most common, around here anyway. I doubt you would get too much snow your way (?).

If you don't like it, just change it.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Quote Originally Posted by rbbailey View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at, which thermostat to use? I could ask my local mechanic, but I was thinking I might order online before I get a chance to go to the shop.

Thanks,
    It depends where you live. If you live in Tucson you probably don't need the same temp as someone who lives in Medicine Hat.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Judging by where you live, I'd install the hotter of the 2, contrary to popular opinion (it seems) the thermostat doesn't control the temperature at which the engine operates, what it does control is how fast it warms up. Once it reaches the temp rating, it's completely open and no longer has an effect on the operation (other than running without one sometimes will make the engine run hotter because the hot coolant is moving through the radiator too fast to properly transfer the heat). At least once every 2 weeks on one of the various forums I frequent I'll see a post that starts out "My engine is running hot, I put a colder thermostat in and it still runs hot". Having the engine heat up faster (even in summer) is a desirable thing, the engine runs more efficiently and the fuel mileage (or lack thereof) is optimal.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

There are actually three temps now: 74/165, 82/179, and 88/190...

The real question is, do you go with the $50 kit, or the $15 kit? hmmmm....

Don't be tempted to put a standard "modern" looking thermostat in yours. Be sure to get the skirted style. Lots of info on the web (including my recent post on this). Those articles discuss the bypassing at the water outlet.
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks