Thread: Towing a Defender

Default Towing a Defender

I have a 1986 Defender 110 SW RHD V8 with a 5 speed. Do I have to do anything to use as a tow vehicle behind my motorhome? Remove drive shafts or anything?

Thanks

Stan

Yeah. I'm sure the manual says you should.

If I were in the envious position of towing around a 110 behind a large motor home, I'd get a set of locking hubs for ALL 4 CORNERS so you only have to unlock all the hubs for flat towing and don't have to be bothered with all the the driveshaft/transmission/transfer case/axle nonsense every time you want to tow it or drive it. You can go from towing mode to driving mode in 30 seconds if you're slow about it. If you have a partner, you could probably be down to 15 seconds. With three helpers, you will probably be done in just under 2 seconds.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).