Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just bought a 94 lwb need advice

Default just bought a 94 lwb need advice

I just purchased a 94 model LWB county. the Rover was running fine and when last shut off now it won't start. the engine turns over fine just will not start. any ideas??

set up a baseline, do you have spark and or fuel? what kind of maintenance has or did it receive last, when? how did it run before, rough or purred like a kitten....any codes?
    LEARN THIS and THEN get back with results, you inquire is so ambiguos, it is the best repply I can offer as a tecnician.

sorry i didn't mean to be ambiguos. it is an early 94 Short wheel base with a 3.9 litre engine. it has been punished pretty bad with little care. the ignition switch is very loose and needs replaced. the fuel pump is running and that is all I know at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    sorry i didn't mean to be ambiguos. it is an early 94 Short wheel base with a 3.9 litre engine. it has been punished pretty bad with little care. the ignition switch is very loose and needs replaced. the fuel pump is running and that is all I know at this time.
    Short or long? The thread title reads long, not that it matters. I would start with general maintenance items like spark plugs, wires, voltage test, things like that.
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhotographer View Post
    Short or long? The thread title reads long, not that it matters. I would start with general maintenance items like spark plugs, wires, voltage test, things like that.
    exactly, stablish a baseline, see if you have fuel pressure. min 35 psi, check spark, check primary and secondary ignition system, do you have power into coil, does it arc/fire out... does the cap receive, does the rotor distribute, does it come out of the cap to the plug wires, how are the plugs and wires, is there a frayed wire which needs attention, do the injectors open and close, do they stay open, is the engine flooded if so why.... does the ecu show any codes? it is along list but basic items needed to make an engine sputter....

I have spark all the way to through the plugs. problem is no fuel. fuel pump is delivering fuel to the rail psi ok, it was running fine shut the engine off and when i returned it would not start. code 02 on the diagnostic display under the pass seat. no other codes.

Thanks
    Last edited by farmer; 06-11-2012 at 02:30 PM.

does anyone know the simplest way to check the fuel pressure on a 94 3.9 with the hotwire efi system??? I have proper ignition no codes but can't get it to start. the fuel pump is delivering plenty of volume but i am not sure of the pressure.

Thanks again to those who have taken the time to help.

There's a Schrader valve on the fuel rail and it can be checked with a gauge that fits the tire valve like fitting. (I once used a tire gauge to do this...it's messy and dangerous!!!) There are proper fuel injection test guages, maybe borrow one? When I tested mine the pump seemed to be running (making noise) but the test gauge read "0". Put in a Rovers North pump and she fired right up. The other time (There is always, "The other time."), it was the module in the distributor that allowed a weak spark, but would not allow it to start.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

no schrader on the rail on this one. you have to break the fuel line at the filter and check there. still i have no fuel through the injectors. does anyone know where the main relay for the efi is on a June 93 built range rover classic??? I don't think the ecu is allowing the fuel delivery. maybe the MAF?? like i said it was running then just would not start.

the efi relay will be next to the ecu under the right front passenger seat, not to be confused with the eas ecu which shares the same cubby hole... if Im not mistaken, there will be two metal relays, one on a white receptacle that's the efi the other on a blue receptacle is the fuel pump.
    also worth noticing, the mass airflow meter has a single wire as a pigtail, this pigtail connects to positive side of coil it is the signal to the ecu for it to open the injectors.
    try disconnecting your throtle position sensor, if it is shorting on the inside, it will think you have a flooded engine and are trying to clear by flooring it...