Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: just bought a 94 lwb need advice

Ah HA!! Thank You Phoenix very much. the rave manual says the ecu relay is in a different place.well on my model it isn't there but under the pass seat. i will be looking shortly and also try that throttle position trick.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Ah HA!! Thank You Phoenix very much. the rave manual says the ecu relay is in a different place.well on my model it isn't there but under the pass seat. i will be looking shortly and also try that throttle position trick.
    any time, just keep us updated on how it goes...

I retimed the distributor yesterday just to be sure i was in time with the piston. I have excellent fire all the way through the plugs. I gave it a breath of ether just to see if it would sputter. no go!!! i suspect the timing chain may have jumped a tooth. is this common on the 3.9 ??? I am not sure of the miles but probably 200k? I will test compression today and decide whether or not to tear into this engine any further. one question<if i decide to overhaul this myself how do i go about the sleeves?> can they be honed and then re ring? or milled out and replaced with top hat liners?

Thanks to all who have given advice!!

IT IS RUNNING!!!!!!! kinda rough but it is running. I replaced the plugs and cleaned the idle air bypass and held the peddle to the floor and it sputtered and started. after i checked the compression and found all to be ok,so i knew the timing chain was ok. sounds like i have a major vacuum leak hissing somewhere.

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED

What colour were the plugs?
    When you remove the oil cap what color does everything in there look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    What colour were the plugs?
    When you remove the oil cap what color does everything in there look like?

This thing has been neglected. the inside of the filler cap is dry with no moisture or grey stuff but does show signs of long oil change inter. when i had the distributor out i could see the timing chain and the inside of the timing cover. i was surprised that it looked pretty clean. th plugs all looked really good and i had spark in them also.i think the problem all along was the stepper motor on the idle air and a vacuum leak to boot. this caused the maf to run rich and this fouled the plugs. i still have to place the throttle all the way to the floor to start it. when it first started the lifters were real noisy so i changed the oil and put a quart of mmo in and now everything is real quiet. i think my stepper motor is malfunctioning. this thing needs a tune up REAL BAD.

Oh and by the way. a really big THANK YOU to Steve at Rovers North!!! I called him today and he was the one who suggested i clean the stepper motor and put my foot to the floor while starting. Great Advice!!!!!

glad to read you got it running, you have just taken the first step into the ownership of a boat, where the happiest days you will ever have with it will be the day you bought it and the day you sold it...lol everything else will be a blurr...
    we are here to help, this things are not hondas where all they need is oil change ( I know 'cause I own 2 hondas). they are more like a timex watch... take a licking and keep on ticking, eventually you become a glutton for punishment.
    enjoy the vehicle...

yea i am not new to rovers i have driven a series IIA for about 30 years,mostly every day. my wife drives a disco II now and had a 110 for a few years to. i purchased this challenge for my daughter to drive to school and around the pastures. i told her "a rover will take you to the ends of the earth if you don't forget your tools". I have it running fair now but it still doesn't idle to great and i think i will change out the BW transfer case to a lt 230 next as the viscous coupling is shot.

you have your hands full, I guess all I can repply is "keep on rovering"