Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1951 Series 1

Default 1951 Series 1

Now (finally!) that the 1973 Series 3 is running (need to update my post with the most recent work), I decided to head back in time and recently picked up a Series 1 that dates to 1951. All serial numbered parts date to 1951 so it is an intact vehicle. It lived most of its life in Arizona and is basically rust-free. The PO told me that it is a movie star: it was in the movie, "Three Kings," and shared top billing with George Clooney. Attached is a screen capture from the movie that shows it with its roll cage (now missing) still in place. Mark Wahlberg shares this scene with the S1, as does a Bart Simpson doll wired along with his American flag to the grill of a Humvee. For those of you who have seen this movie, this is the memorable scene when a cow steps on a landmine -- the S1 cameo lasts about 1 sec, ha ha!

Good thing that I am not in a big rush on this rebuild because I have to find some parts, most pressing being a Solex 32PB12 carb. Any leads on this and other S1 parts are welcome!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1951 Series 1.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	6728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1951 Series 1 with labs.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	6729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Three Kings Series 1.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	6730

Damn that's a cool truck with a cool history!!!! I've been itching to get a SI but just can't seem to find the right one or make a deal happen.

Try Ike at Pangolin 4x4. He may have some of what you need or may have leads to others that do.

Good luck with it!

That thing is sweet. Did all series I gas tanks hang so low?
    '67 sIIa 88

Yes, with a double cradle to protect the tank. You'll note that there is no exterior door handle on these early models. To fill it you reach over the top of the door to open it with the inside handle, fold back the seat and access panel, remove the cap and pull up the filler tube. I haven't drained the tank yet but it is still holding fuel so it looks solid. I sealed the tank on my Series 3 with POR-15 and if this one is solid will do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by PavementEnds View Post
    Any leads on this and other S1 parts are welcome!
    I have a set of NOS Series I tailboard chains (British Army issue packed and tagged); PM me if if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by PavementEnds View Post
    Now (finally!) that the 1973 Series 3 is running (need to update my post with the most recent work), I decided to head back in time and recently picked up a Series 1 that dates to 1951. All serial numbered parts date to 1951 so it is an intact vehicle. It lived most of its life in Arizona and is basically rust-free. The PO told me that it is a movie star: it was in the movie, "Three Kings," and shared top billing with George Clooney. Attached is a screen capture from the movie that shows it with its roll cage (now missing) still in place. Mark Wahlberg shares this scene with the S1, as does a Bart Simpson doll wired along with his American flag to the grill of a Humvee. For those of you who have seen this movie, this is the memorable scene when a cow steps on a landmine -- the S1 cameo lasts about 1 sec, ha ha!

Good thing that I am not in a big rush on this rebuild because I have to find some parts, most pressing being a Solex 32PB12 carb. Any leads on this and other S1 parts are welcome!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1951 Series 1.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	6728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1951 Series 1 with labs.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	6729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Three Kings Series 1.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	6730
    If you have a moment will you send me a photo and the measurements for the upside U shaped grab bar on the left rear of your Series I? I have been unable to find and want to have a pair made. Thank you.

Ah, be a bit. In fact, if you have good luck getting them made, let me know because I only have one! Attached is the only near close up I have. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rovers 3.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	6732
    Last edited by PavementEnds; 06-29-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Sorry this took me a bit to get back to PH4's request. Photo attached. Bar is solid, 0.5" in diameter; outside width = 9&3/8"; total ht = 5&7/8"' excluding washer; base is a 1.5" diameter washer welded to bar where it fits into the holes of the tub; threaded piece is 3/4" long. You should be able to resize the photo to exact size so you can duplicate the exact curvature of the bar. Washers and nut assembly also shown. Good luck! And if you are successful in building these, PM me and I'll take one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Series I Grab bar.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	7060

Congradulations! That is an awesome rig...it appears as though the dogs concur! When it comes to parts these days one word comes to mind...google.

Unfortunately our host does not allow selling of parts on the forum. There are several other forums that do allow selling and I see S1 parts quite often. Most of these forums also have a "parts wanted" section where you can post your needs. There are also alot of S1 parts available on the UK, New Zealand and Austrailian forums. Almost all the forums are free to join so it's easy to get signed up and have access. Best of luck.

I just added a '57 SI. There are a quite a number of vendors out there but many are in the UK or OZ. Ike has parts and many are NOS. eBay as way but you really have to search through a lot of crap to find anything. But it isn't impossible.
    1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
    1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
    1957 Series I, Deep bronze green