Thread: Towing a series or defender

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Towing a series or defender

Hello all,
    Trying to determine the best way of towing a series or defender other than on a trailer.
    Do tow dollies work well, or is it better to flat tow?
    If using a tow dollie would you disconnect the rear driveshaft, or simply put the transfer case/transmission in neutral and let the rear half turn?
    I have a truck camper and am considering towing a Rover behind that. The truck will pull the weight, but with the camper on the truck I have to use an 18 inch receiver extension and the tongue weight limit is 350 lbs., so that rules out all but small trailers.
    Have not gotten a Rover yet, but am in the market for one. Sold my Disco II earlier this year and looking to go back to something easier to maintain.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

Tow dollies work fine. The only issue is backing up with them which can be a bit dicey. Takes some real practice.
    Ideally disconnect the diff end of the rear propshaft. If you're towing to have a runabout where you camp, then I'd get a set of locking hubs and install them on the rear.
    Put a good paint stripe on them to indicate either locked or unlocked so a quick glance will tell you if you're ready to tow or not.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Thanks Tom,
    I had wondered about adding the locking hubs on the rear, but wasn't sure if that would be a good idea. That seemed to be the way to reduce the wear and tear on the diff driveshaft.
    Now just have to find the right Rover.
    Wayne Hayden

Diff wear is minor. Locking hubs would just make it a lot simpler than having to crawl under and disconnect/reconnect the propshaft.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Well, I found the right Rover. 82 Series III 88 Country. Now to get the locking hubs for the back and the tow dolly and away we go.
    Actually once I get it into the garage and start going over it, I will probably be posting a lot more questions.
    Wayne
    Beautiful downtown Quinton, VA

1982 Series III 88 Country
    2001 Disco II, Zebramobile-Sold

I have flat towed my 88 all over the place with various tow vehicles the best being a full size van as a pick up is too light on the rear end and as flat towing does not add any hitch weight that is a real problem. You having a slide in camper is perfect and should have no problems. My hitch pins to the front and I can either quickly remove it or tie it upright to drive the Landrover. I only have unlocking hubs on the front but never thought of putting them on the rear, it is a good idea. I just select 4th gear and put the transfer case in neutral, I also run a good synthetic GL-5 gear oil of 75W90. Be careful turning tight on slippery roads as the front wheels on the Landrover can slide and jack knife the landrover into the back of the TV. Backing up can be tricky but just keep the landrover as straight as possible. Now I'm looking for a set of unlocking hubs .lol
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

The owners manuals give at least one or more methods to be used. None of them seem very different from towing any other type of vehicle. Not sure why some owners make it more difficult than it needs to be.