Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel pump recommendations pls

The mechanical pump has a set of valves in it. The valve that allows fuel into the pump should act as a check valve to keep fuel from draining back into the tank. However, I have experienced similar issues to yours on my old 63 and my current Lightweight. Both had original AC pumps. Both would sit for long periods of time between starts. I believe that the valves in the pump never seal perfectly and allow fuel to drain back slowly.

My 63 had a starter circuit separate from the ignition circuit, so I would simply crank the engine until oil pressure built, then turn on the ignition. For my SIII Lightweight, I found a simple solution. I installed an ignition cutoff switch that cuts power to the ignition and fuel shutoff solenoid at the carb. If it sits for a while, I simply shut off the ignition cutoff switch & crank the engine until the oil pressure light goes off, then switch on the ignition and it fires immediately. The added benefit is that oil pressure is built before firing the engine.

I did this because I didn't want to install an electric fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by TedW View Post
    I run a Carter 4070 electric pump and am very happy with it.
    Ted- Are you running this pump on a Weber? Do you need to use any type of regulator?

I would prefer to find good one not needing a separate regulator.

Carter and Facet appear to have options I can go with...

Jac - you still have your lightweight ?

cheers, mike

Quote Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
    Ted- Are you running this pump on a Weber? Do you need to use any type of regulator?
    ---------------------------
    1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
    1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
    1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
    1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
    1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
    2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
    2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

The Carter 4070 is a great pump but pricey. (Avance Auto is the cheapest) And BIG! You gott'a have room for it. I've not had good luck with the facet "cubes" and they're noisy as hell. Get the inline version for ease of fitment. They are a solenoid/piston pump I beleive??? Aerotek makes some nice ones too. Nice N quiet but put a lil' filter in the line prior to the pump, they don't like trash. I have a 109 with tanks under the seats and I'm catch'n hell trying to find a good spot to mount a Fram HPG1 filter and a Holley red fuel pump so make life easy on yourself and get the inline pumps. If you have a Weber keep the PSI as low as possible, 2-3psi max is all you need for them.
    1978 MOD 109

good feedback, thanks
    ---------------------------
    1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
    1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
    1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
    1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
    1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
    2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
    2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mrdoiron View Post
    Jac - you still have your lightweight ?
    Yes Sir. I even drive it sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
    jac: What do you mean by a regulator?

Yes, I run it with a Weber - there is a site that specializes in Webers and they say that this pump is just right in terms of pressure, flow, etc. for Weber carbs. It is a bit buzzy - I mounted it to the front of the fuel tank outrigger, so it's right below the passenger's feet.

I bought the optional oil pressure switch - the pump doesn't get any juice if the motor isn't running and producing oil pressure - handy in an accident.

Ted

Try petronix iginition system. It works great. After 2 months sitting starts every time.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdoiron View Post
    very good, thanks.
    So a 4-6psi range should suffice I think for the Weber, need to check if they come with specific fittings or a range in a kit...
    Both Webers & the LR carbs like about 3lbs pressure & high volume. The low pressure version of a Facet will work but stay away from the higher psi pumps. Too high a pressure than the float valve gets overwhelmed.

The stock mechanical pump of course designed to work properly with the LR carbs and happens to work well with both the Weber and Rochester.

I had this issue with one of my trucks. It ended up being a very minor air leak in th line before the pump. The pump would not pick up fuel if it sat. If I primed the carb a couple of times it would start and run fine. After I tightened all fittings it worked fine.
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT