Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Repower SIII 109 with 200TDI?

Assuming Defender 200tdi and your existing transmission, this is a rough idea of what your issues will be:

1) Right side chassis bracket for motor mount needs to be fabricated such that it clears the injection pump cleanly. The 200tdi can be physically bolted up without doing this, but be prepared for it. It is not at all difficult if it needs to be done, but it does require welding.
    2) Battery has to be relocated under the seat or raised.
    3) Throttle linkage needs to be addressed-- probably easiest to remove the Series stuff and install a Defender pedal and cable.
    4) The radiator, intercooler and pipes configuration. There are a lot of different ways of dealing with that, but the Defender components won't fit nicely without some fabrication.
    5) You'll need a new exhaust system from the 200tdi downpipe all the way out the back, since you'll want a much larger diameter than you get with a 2.25 petrol.

I have a 200tdi in a 110 and I think you'll be very pleased with the performance and the economy.
    '55 SI 86

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    My solution is a little different. I am flipping the turbo around 180, and reclocking the center section. This puts the exhaust toward the front like a 300 tdi.
    I subscribed to your thread on D-90 and I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out for you.
    '55 SI 86

Quote Originally Posted by Les Parker View Post
    Few conversions are "bolt in", though being aware of the pitfalls and some idea of the work involved is always worthwhile the time and effort of research.
    Absolutely - I guess when I say "bolt in" I'm speaking relatively from the point-of-view of a Series owner, whose perspective would be quite different than that of say, someone who owns a Jaguar. And I'm not planning on re-powering in the driveway, I have a great custom shop that I have worked with before who specializes in building old Mopars (Challengers and Super Bees and the like) who also builds the occasional 4x4.

I guess what I'm asking is, other than perhaps fabricating/welding in new motor mounts, perhaps changing the length of the drive shafts, maybe fabricating a new down pipe, changing gear rations and worst case having to modify the rear crossmember to allow for rear drive shaft travel (which are not minor, but are well within the ability of my shop and, if I keep working until I'm 95 might fit within my Rover rebuild budget), we're not talking about major surgery like cutting the bulkhead or divorcing the transfer case or fabricating some complicated unavailable part. I mean, this is fairly do-able as I understand it, correct?

At least, as of yet, no one has popped up to say, "hey, just run what you've got and be happy with it and don't bother with the can of worms".....
    '75 SIII 109 Diesel - I'm in deep.

I would kill to have that transit motor in any of our trucks (88"s or the 109") just because I have been wanting a diesel for no real reason. If you do decide to pull it drop me a line.

You could always drop in a nice healthy 2.25 gas motor. Our 109" cruises at 75mph all day long and gets about 17mpg. You just have to love a nice smooth running 2.25 for how simple and reliable they are .

Good luck.

Hey, seems like I missed most of this thread but i wanted to ask you about your series that goes at 75 mph - mine maxes out at 50 and it doesn't feel safe driving any kind of highways which is all we have in NM. What do you think? Would replacing the motor make that much difference? It's a 72 with a 2.25 petrol engine. thanks!

1959 SII sold
    1972 SIII RHD 88" (current project!)

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Didn't some company in the UK make an elbow that bolted in between the exhaust manifold and the turbo on Disco 200Tdi's that swung the turbo up and out of the way of the LHD steering components? I'm pretty sure I've seen it...the hard part will be re-finding it on the net...
    There is just one teeny weenie problem with using a Disco 200tdi exhaust manifold in a 109. The turbo and the frame want to occupy the same space. The 88 frame is different than the 109 frame in the engine compartment area so a Disco manifold will work with that elbow adapter. But for a 109 frame, you really would be happier with a Defender exhaust manifold.

And for steering component fitment issues don't forget there is always a power steering option that relocates everything.

Another option that I came up with is to flip the turbo upside down. This will allow it to clear the frame. It does create one small issue in that the center of the turbo has to be "clocked" so that the oil feed and drain are right way round again, and the wastegate actuator has to be relocated. Not a big deal and it was something I was halfway into when I realized that I had no need.
    The other thing is that the drain tube will need to be fit with a longer hose, as well as the feed. Otherwise, it's a simple and elegant solution to the turbo fit problem.
    Oh, and the exhaust will be in front instead of in the back. Again, no biggie.

From the other side of the field...

Is there a reason you can't stick a turbo on the transit? Sounds like you are pretty happy with it now, but want more power. What about adjusting the fuel pump output?
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Quote Originally Posted by disco2hse View Post
    From the other side of the field...

Is there a reason you can't stick a turbo on the transit? Sounds like you are pretty happy with it now, but want more power. What about adjusting the fuel pump output?
    It's funny you should mention that, a buddy of mine mentioned the same thing. And it would probably work, but will take a ton of tinkering and fabrication--essentially uncharted territory. And at the end of the day there are tons of parts available for a 200 tdi or a Mercedes 617, but very few for a '71 ford York transit. It worries me to do intense fab work like that for an obscure (yet very simple) engine.
    '75 SIII 109 Diesel - I'm in deep.

Quote Originally Posted by bullstanky View Post
    It's funny you should mention that, a buddy of mine mentioned the same thing. And it would probably work, but will take a ton of tinkering and fabrication--essentially uncharted territory. And at the end of the day there are tons of parts available for a 200 tdi or a Mercedes 617, but very few for a '71 ford York transit. It worries me to do intense fab work like that for an obscure (yet very simple) engine.
    I don't know that specific engine, but Transits in general are common as muck. Far more of them on the road than 200Tdi's. Maybe not in the states, but certainly in the land of pom and associated former colonies, there are many.
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit