Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Series III Power Steering? Defender doors?

I used an FJ60 box for my power steering conversion. go here http://seriestrek.com/steering.html for more info...this is where I stole it from.

I got new doors from SP Landrovers in the UK. Well made, specific to the S2/S2a and inexpensive. http://www.splandrovers.com/Default.asp

Jason

I had early defender wind up doors
    The were warped from someone trying to
    Sandblast them
    They were nice but I missed my series
    Doors. They used the series hinges. But you
    Need the stricker setup from the defender
    I like the series doors better.
    I sold them to go tword my pickup top
    Aaron.
    73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
    67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
    88 RRC sold
    60 mga coupe

If you have access to the book Land Rover Series III Reborn check out the chapters on replacing the doors with Defender doors and the one on power steering. On the power steering they work with a kit, but there are lots of pictures and a diagram of the layout.
    It covers lots of things reference to restoring a series III and has lots of pictures of the process.
    The book uses a lot of Santana parts, but basically they cover taking two trucks and making one basically "new" truck.
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Beautiful downtown Quinton, VA

1982 Series III 88 Country
    2001 Disco II, Zebramobile-Sold

I have a power steering page that you might find useful. The hot set up du jour is to use the power steering box, arm and lower steering column from a Range Rover P-38 out of a wrecking yard.

For doors: Check with Ike at Pangolin 4X4. He carries a lot of used LR parts and is the best source I know of for used body panels.

For door seals: The stock ones don't seal very well. Even genuine LR Series door seals. I strongly recommend converting to Defender door seals. They work a LOT better. most people cut off the lip around the door opening to mount the Defender seals (I did) but a few people say they can get them to fit without cutting the lip off.

Thanks for all the links! now I just need to figure out what to do first!
    Any good info out there on disc brake conversions - homemade? Any regular stock discs with the 5x6.5 pattern? I am trying to build this truck for a transamerica trip next year.
    Thanks
    AK

I have the Ashtree doors and tops ready to go on my build. Just got a little more work to do before I mount them.

I have yet another web page that is a survey of disc brake conversion kits currently available for sale. The kits are presented in alphabetical order and not by order of preference.

And if you convert to disc brakes you will really want to have power brakes to activate the pads. In case your Rover does not come with power brakes I have yet another web page covering power brake conversions.