Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire switch?

Question Tire switch?

Thinking of moving to skinnier tire.

I have 235/85R16 and I'm thinking of going to 215/85R16.

Will the skinnier tire fit on my LR standard steel 16" wheels?

Looking at replacing my BFG Baja Champion A/T KOs with Kumho Road Venture KL78s.

My driving is mostly on pavement and we do get snow here in CT.

Thoughts?

Mike - 1969 SIIa 88

A bit more research and I think I've answered my own question - the thinner tires should fit the rims no problem.

Mike

I am running 215s on 16 inch wheels, they will fit without a problem. Interestingly enough, I'm thinking about going the other way, and going to 235s.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

215/85/16 LT radial is the skinniest tire I could realistically find. Stands taller and skinny tires go anywhere. Fit on my skinny s1 rims. Skinny tires rule in the snow. Anyone who has tried will agree.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009_07032009JulyProvincials0042.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	7066

is everythink OK with your rear axle gudjeon? it appears to me missing in this photo. Skinny tires are definitely better in snow, which is why I am torn about switching to the 235 size myself. I guess I just want to be one of the cool kids with the big knobby tires!
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

What condition are the tires you are removing? I am in the market for 235's if you are looking to sell them I may be interested. I have the 215/85/16 on my series III and they are great for driving and plowing.
    1973 NADA 88

Quote Originally Posted by Broadstone View Post
    What condition are the tires you are removing? I am in the market for 235's if you are looking to sell them I may be interested. I have the 215/85/16 on my series III and they are great for driving and plowing.
    Not bad - I'd say maybe 40% tread life left (just a guess) - no sidewall cracking etc. I can take some pictures for you and measure the tread depth.

I'd sell you all 4 and the spare (different make tire but same size and brand new) make me an offer - but you'd have to come get them. I see you are in CT so maybe that would work out - I am in Wilton which is SW CT a bit north of Norwalk.

They are LT235/85R16 Baja Champion KO - nowadays BFG dropped the "Baja Champion" moniker and just call them "All Terrain".

Howdy stomper,

No problems with rear axle using the 215's. I have newish stock springs, stock shackles and HD shocks. It is the old series 1 sem-floating set up. Bearings and seals can be had locally at NAPA. Bush road driving is smoother at 40 mph than going slow. They are the same rolling diameter near to the old 7x16 that used to be an option for LR. I used to run 235's on a "68, 88" and I like the 215's more. They push less air around going down the highway. The steering stops need to be adjusted just a bit as mine was set up for the old 6.50x16's. The old skinnies were worn out ancient Kelly's and they rocked even in mud.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoverPics05074.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	7068

Too bad as pizza cutters work very well on these old rigs. Easier steering too.

Quote Originally Posted by emmotto View Post
    Not bad - I'd say maybe 40% tread life left (just a guess) - no sidewall cracking etc. I can take some pictures for you and measure the tread depth.

I'd sell you all 4 and the spare (different make tire but same size and brand new) make me an offer - but you'd have to come get them. I see you are in CT so maybe that would work out - I am in Wilton which is SW CT a bit north of Norwalk.

They are LT235/85R16 Baja Champion KO - nowadays BFG dropped the "Baja Champion" moniker and just call them "All Terrain".
    I appreciate the offer and reply but I need more tread so will likley buy new. Thanks
    1973 NADA 88

Ok I checked - I have 6/32 tread - brand new is 16/32. So 35 or 40% tread left is accurate. They are all terrain KO - they say Baja Champion on the inside sidewall and All Terrain on the exterior.