Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Broadstone View Post
    I appreciate the offer and reply but I need more tread so will likley buy new. Thanks
    No worries!

Researching tires and found this post. Sounds like the 215/85/16 is the way to go for snow. Leaning towards Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac because they are made in the USA, 10 ply and have the snow flake rating. My tire guy said these will be skinner then the 205R 16 that I'm replacing. I looked at the 2 pics on this post but I'd like to see a few more pics of a IIA with 215/85/16. Can anyone help?

One more thing, will my spare fit on the back wagon door? My current set up isn't close to fitting.

Thanks pb

I think you'll be very happy with Duratracs. 4x4.com has them the cheapest when you figure in the $60 rebate and the 5% coupon code, and shipping for either 4 or 5 is $25!

Yeah, I think I've decided to go with the Duratracs. Just want to make sure I don't end up with the "mail truck" look on my 88" IIA with the 215/85-16 vs I see lots of people run the 235. I'm going to order in the next week or so, may be someone will post a pic of a 88 IIA with the 215/85-16.
    pb

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Mule View Post
    Researching tires and found this post. Sounds like the 215/85/16 is the way to go for snow. Leaning towards Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac because they are made in the USA, 10 ply and have the snow flake rating. My tire guy said these will be skinner then the 205R 16 that I'm replacing. I looked at the 2 pics on this post but I'd like to see a few more pics of a IIA with 215/85/16. Can anyone help?

One more thing, will my spare fit on the back wagon door? My current set up isn't close to fitting.

Thanks pb
    Hmm. Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but seems that 215s should be 10mm wider than 205s, not narrower.

Thats was I was thinking but the tire guy said it would be narrower, by an inch. The 205R-16 that I have on were installed when the truck still lived in England, 10 years ago. My 205's don't have a middle number so I thought may be that had something to do with it.
    May be I should have him clarify and make sure I heard him correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Mule View Post
    Thats was I was thinking but the tire guy said it would be narrower, by an inch. The 205R-16 that I have on were installed when the truck still lived in England, 10 years ago. My 205's don't have a middle number so I thought may be that had something to do with it.
    May be I should have him clarify and make sure I heard him correctly.
    Perhaps measure the width of the tread (only) in mm (or inches and convert) of your current '205' tires and see what it is (more or less than 215mm ?). Old style English tyre sizing might be the culprit, as you said.

Maybe this will help clear things up.....

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...nch_Tires.html

Well I measured just the tread that makes contact with the road and found 6.5" which is 165mm. While I was measuring I found 205/80-16 in small print on the tire. Think I'm just going to wing it and order the 215/85-16. Using the link below my 215's will increase my diameter by 1.5". I have 16x7 wheels so if these 205R-16's are a true 205 then you can put 205's on a 16x7.
    Thanks for everyones input.
    pb

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew IIA View Post
    Perhaps measure the width of the tread (only) in mm (or inches and convert) of your current '205' tires and see what it is (more or less than 215mm ?). Old style English tyre sizing might be the culprit, as you said.

I shod my ser1 88" in 215/85/16. They were as skinny as I could get without resorting to a vintage specialty tire. Skinny tires rock in snow,mud, what have you. These rigs don't have the power to push big wide things and spin mud off of them. Also, skinnier is better for anything that has manual steering.

Name:  IMG_0693.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  90.9 KB