Thread: 2004 DII tire size advice

Default 2004 DII tire size advice

Hi there,

I recently bought a 2004 LR DII S. It came with the 16" wheels, actually 2 sets of them, and with old Michelin LTX 255/65R16 tires.
    I wanted to get winter tires for it, and went on to tirerack, but it seems there are no winter tires made in that size. As anybody else run into this problem?

The User Manual suggest 225/75R16 as alternative, but to be mounted on 7" rims, instead of the 8" I have.
    After doing a little math I found that 235/70R16 would be close in diameter/circumference to the original 255/65R16, although a tiny bit smaller (91" circumference vs. 91.3"), but these are still ~3/4" narrower than the original, so I am wondering if they would be good on 8" rims.
    I then checked what the dimensions are for the SE standard equipment (265/55R18) and found that the circumference on those is a bit bigger at 92.6", so that got me thinking that maybe 245/70R16, which have a circumference of 92.7" would be better.

any thoughts or suggestions?

PS: I also read about people going to bigger tires (265/[70-75]R16) and getting much better gas mileage with no downsides. Anybody can confirm that?

Thanks
    2004 Discovery S
    2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI

I can confirm that bigger wheels will only get you WORSE gas mileage. The skinnier tire the better in snow, I would go 225/85R16 if I were you.
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

I agree, skinnier is better especially for snow. The bigger tire you go with the more HP it's going to take to turn them which means more gas, never heard of anyone getting better gas mileage from bigger tires. If your truck is not lifted i'd go with the 225/70s, they should fit fine on the 8" wheels.

My 99 DII is lifted 3" so I went with the 235/75s, if it wasn't for the 3" lift I believe the fronts would be rubbing. Got mine off tire-rack, Good Year Dura-tracks, excellent in the snow. There is also a fairly new site (the name escapes me) selling re-treads at great prices. My buddy has picked up a few sets from this site and they are very good tires. Google re-tread tires and soemthing should come up. Good luck.

Wider tires (for the same diameter) do give worse gas mileage, but bigger diameter tires, within reason, with the same width can give you better gas mileage because they reduce the rpm. It's like getting a longer gear.

Thanks for the suggestions about the retreads, but I actually want winter tires, probably going for either the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 or the Michelin X-Ice Xi2.
    2004 Discovery S
    2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI

Ah, I understand your thinking now.

I don't have any experience with the Bridgstones but I've never been a big fan for Michelins other than passenger car applications...in my opinion they are way overpriced and I've had several side-wall issues w/ Michelins. If your looking for a winter, snow tire do yourself a favor and check-out the dura-tracs. They are designed for snow and one of the few that carry the snow/ice emblem stamped right on the tire. I use mine year round and I'm extremely satisfied with their performance.

I've got a 2000 discovery 2 and with a set of 265-70 r16 bfg rugged trail I get 17 mpg city. They do not rub and are exceptional both on and off road.

I run 235/85r16. It is pretty close to what the Camel Trophy trucks ran, easy to find, cheaper and lighter than some other tires. I don't think they rub, even on an un-lifted rig, unless you are full turn going in reverse.... ?