Thread: Gas Leak

Default Gas Leak

It has been about three weeks since I have driven my Rover. I have it in a storage warehouse (man cave). I have two other non rover projects, one just finished up and have been sorting it out the last couple of weeks.

This morning drove over to the cave, to switch out cars, Rover started up after about three tries, no problem, typical for sitting for quite some time. Pulled the car out, and noticed significant fluids running down the engine compartment leaving a trail as I backed up. Got out and realized that this was fuel. Drove it back in, turned off the car, tried to figure out where it was coming. As I was not prepared to crawl under the rover (I know, we should always be prepared to crawl under these trucks), I just took a quick look, and figure it is coming from the glass fuel filter.

Are these readily available? When I drove it into storage, everything was running fine. What could have gone wrong during the three weeks sitting idle? It has gotten very warm over the past several weeks, with outside temps of mid 90's, so I assume it was probably warmer in the warehouse. Could this have contributed to this problem?

Your post didn't note the Rover you own, but I'll presume you don't have an aftermarket glass in-line fuel filter. If you do have a glass sediment bowl on your fuel pump, chances are 94.65% it will be the gasket.

Easily replaceable from our host. Extinguish that stogie when replacing, toss an extra one in the tool kit.

Done.
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Sorry about that, it's a 1959 SII 88, and it does have the glass sediment bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by 4flattires View Post
    Your post didn't note the Rover you own, but I'll presume you don't have an aftermarket glass in-line fuel filter. If you do have a glass sediment bowl on your fuel pump, chances are 94.65% it will be the gasket.

Easily replaceable from our host. Extinguish that stogie when replacing, toss an extra one in the tool kit.

Done.
    Always good to have an extra stogie in the toolkit!

My bad. Could have been more clear. Extra gasket in the toolkit, Stogies get crushed there.
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Just got the gaskets for the fuel pump, should I use the blue gasket seal or does this gasket go on dry?

Don't use sealer, you might have to open it periodically to remove sediment or clean the screen filter.

Thanks for reply, just to clarify, I was referring to the gasket that attaches the fuel pump directly to the engine. Do you still recommend no sealant use?

Blue gasket snot should only be used on Ford Taurus station wagons. Use real gaskets and hylomar.

Ditto, I thought you were asking about the sediment bowl gasket.