Thread: Front Axle Offset Dimensions - Series III 109 5 Door 1974

Default Front Axle Offset Dimensions - Series III 109 5 Door 1974

I have a 74 sieries III and am looking at an axle swap to D44's front and Rear and I was wondering what the offset to the passenger side dimension is on the standard front axle. I don't have access to my truck right now and I want to purchase a set used that look pretty atractive.
    Thanks

I did a mod of Dico 1 front and back diffs with parabolics on my 88. If you want photos and info email me at wozanou@hotmail.com. That means disc brakes all round and it stays Landy spares.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinK View Post
    I have a 74 sieries III and am looking at an axle swap to D44's front and Rear
    Out of curiosity, why do you want to remove the Dana 60 (Salisbury) from the rear and install a Dana 44?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Oh, and the answer to your question can be found here on TeriAnn's site: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/...awingLARGE.jpg
    --Mark

Sounds like a drive train swap. The problem that you may run into is the spring perch on the Dana 44 is machined into the cast section. You may have to mount the springs out board of the frame much like the rear of a 109. Dana 44s aren't much of an upgrade. They maybe be a cheap way to get disc brakes and larger axle shafts but they aren't worth the hassle. Upgrading the stock stuff is expensive but it can be made just as tough and tougher. I'm being blasphemous by saying this. Cruiser axles will almost bolt in. 30 spline shafts and disc brakes.

Good luck with your project.

Tapatalk sucks, sent from Matthew's IPhone

Sorry about the delay in answering - Weekends out running. I was looking for a more standard wheel bolt pattern that parts are more available for. My series is pretty well modified already so being a purist is a lost cause. I could just change shafts on the 60 to match what I install up front. Just in parts for the front end I would need to spend 2K to get it back in shape. for that kind of cash I swap in a toyota axle/s and end up with disc brakes to boot. Just trying to make the vehicle more daily driver and long haul ready.
    thanks for all the info. I did find a set of FJ60 axles and I think I may go with the wider track for now and maybe cut them down later?

I did find a set of FJ60 axles and I think I may go with the wider track for now and maybe cut them down later?
    Not sure of all the details involved in this axle swap, but I figure that it's easier to source a set of series rover fender flares to widen out the wheelwells than to narrow down axle assemblies.
    --Mark

Sorry about the delay in answering - Weekends out running. I was looking for a more standard wheel bolt pattern that parts are more available for. My series is pretty well modified already so being a purist is a lost cause. I could just change shafts on the 60 to match what I install up front. Just in parts for the front end I would need to spend 2K to get it back in shape. for that kind of cash I swap in a toyota axle/s and end up with disc brakes to boot. Just trying to make the vehicle more daily driver and long haul ready.
    thanks for all the info. I did find a set of FJ60 axles and I think I may go with the wider track for now and maybe cut them down later?
    60 axles will be 3.5" wider than a 40/55 axle. From my understanding, Series axles are the same width as 40/55 axles. Instead of cutting down the 60 axles, you could run a different backspaced rim. Go to a 4.5" backspaced 16" rim and it will narrow the track by 1" on each side. If you decide to cut down the 60 axles, cut the long side 3.5". On a 60 axle, the short side is the same as the 40/55 short side. If you just cut the long side of the 60 axle, you could then just simply buy the long side inner shaft for a 40/55 and be done with it. Not a big deal.