Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhaust Manifold Replacement

Jac thanks for the response, that was the question I was asking.

How long should it take to do this job? I am allotting an entire day assuming worst case scenario(Rusted bolts, etc)

Rick
    73 xMOD S3 109
    52 M37

Quote Originally Posted by rickv100 View Post
    I am allotting an entire day...
    Yeah, that should cover it. Seriously though, it shouldn't take more than an hour or so as long as you don't break off any fasteners in the head. I've removed many manifolds and never had a problem with a manifold to head fastener. Now, the 3 studs to the front exhaust pipe are a different story. You don't need to worry about those since you have a new exhaust manifold. The biggest PITA will be cleaning off the mating surface on the head.

There used to be a stainless steel/brass fitting kit for the exhaust manifold available from British Northwest Land Rover. You might also be able to source stainless fittings at your local hardware store. That plus the anti-seize stuff makes later disassembly much easier.

Tom

Many thanks for all the tips. I have ordered some surface conditioning discs from McMaster so I can clean up the mounting surfaces prior to installation.

Looks like I am all set.

Rick
    73 xMOD S3 109
    52 M37

The manifold replacment went pretty easily it took a bit longer then expected as I did not order new studs for the intake/exhaust manifold connection and the old ones were pretty much welded into the old exhaust manifold.

After installing the manifold the truck now sounds like crap. seems like alot of valve noise. I torqued everything down as per the instructions and installed all bolts in there previous locations.

I have to adjust the valves and timing to see if that resolves the issue.

Rick
    73 xMOD S3 109
    52 M37

Quote Originally Posted by rickv100 View Post
    After installing the manifold the truck now sounds like crap. seems like alot of valve noise. I torqued everything down as per the instructions and installed all bolts in there previous locations.
    Valve noise? Like a ticking? Not sure how manifold work would affect the valves. However, an exhaust leak at the manifold = loud ticking sound.

I'd get a length of vacuum hose, stick one end in my ear and probe around the manifold area with the other end till I found the leak, were it me.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Any exhaust leak will make it sound like its ticking. Usually a culprit is the joint to the exhaust pipe. The ball and socket of this must be cleaned and I use some exhaust cement to make sure on these. Rust and old hardened crap will make it impossible to seal properly once removed.

Note to self: must tighten up mine as it has left black spots on the down pipe.