Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IIa door bolt question

Default IIa door bolt question

I am getting ready to put my doors back on my project. While I have both IIa and III hinges, I decided to go with the IIa hinges that "stand proud". I am having trouble finding the bolts that are used to fasten these to the bulkhead. Our host has the screws that work with the III hinge, but I did not see the IIa hinge bolts listed. I took one of my old III hinge screws to fastenal to get bolts with a similar length and thread count and they did not have it, but gave me the measurements, which were M8X1.0X40. I then ordered some bolts on line, but it appears they were off on the thread count (not to mention that the bolts i ordered showed full threads in the photo, but came with a large shoulder that would probably not have worked anyway.) As I am using the IIa front end, i thought the old style hinges would look best, plus they allow the doors to open all the way back against the fender.

Does anyone know where to get the proper bolts or the proper dimensions??? the catalog shows that the captive nut on the bulkhead is the same for IIa and III. I have already painted and rebuilt the hinges, so would like to use them.

thanks for any help
    '65 Series IIa (not running)
    "73 Series III (not running)
    (combining the two to make one.)
    '00 Disco II

MerlynIIa: I also have a IIA, but unlike you I must deal with lots of salt in the environment (natural and otherwise). I bought stainless bolts at my local Ace Hardware. Keeps corrosion to a minimum.

I understand that you folks in Dixie deal with dampness, so the stainless route might make sense.

Just my $0.02........

Ted

Hi TedW and I agree, Stainless would be ideal. We don't have an Ace hardware anymore, but I could order off the net. Do you remember the size? thanks!
    '00 Disco II

Bolts are 5/16th BSF available in stainless at britishfasteners.com in various lengths.
    http://www.britishfasteners.com/inde...less-bsf-bolts

Thanks o2batsea! I will head to britishfasteners.
    '00 Disco II

Be careful at that vendor's website. I find my cart topping $100 almost every time I go there.....
    The bolt supplier for Land Rover is Atlas

You may also want to try Mcmaster-Carr. The substitute for UNF bolts is SAE fine. You can use the stainless 5/16-24 and 3/8-24 as well as 1/4-28 which are far cheaper than the ones from Britishfasteners. The only thing is that you often have to buy in packs of 25 or 50. Get the 316 type stainless. Can't do Land Rovers without Mcmaster Carr. If you order before 9 AM it's usually on your doorstep next day.

Thanks for the tip. I will check into them.
    '00 Disco II

o2batsea:
    Is there a state-side supplier of a stainless bolt/screw kits for restoration? I found one HERE but would like to find one with a bit better shipping rates...

Thanks!

I would like to clarify a few things.. BSF is NOT the same as UNF and there is no Metric equivalent to either of them. A 5/16 BSF is 22TPI and 55deg a .0454 pitch while a 5/16 UNF is 24TPI and 60 deg a .04167 pitch. The older Landrovers would have been BSF originally unless the clip nuts were changed out for UNF or UNC ones. I highly doubt you will find a BSF anything at a local nut and bolt house, most people have never even heard of BSF or Whitworth threads.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

The older Landrovers would have been BSF originally unless the clip nuts were changed out for UNF or UNC ones.
    2A is all UNF. I was mistaken in writing that the hardware is BSF, it isn't. However, BSF is easily sourced as noted above. There are some whitworth nuts and bolts. In particular the wee nuts holding the defrost vents in the BH.
    Door bolts are 5/16ths-24, but I doubt you will find the ATLAS bolts that are the OE in stainless.