Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My bulkhead restoration saga

Default My bulkhead restoration saga

So I just bought a collection of parts that I hope to transform into an operational IIa. My plan is to galvanize the chassis and cappings, and then start reassembly with any part either being refurbished or replaced. I am looking for a nice set of IIa or III wings.

So onto the bulkhead. It was obvious before sandblasting that the bottom half of each door post and the footwells would need replacing. Above the footwell, everything looks rust and dent free.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1483.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	7204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1468.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	7205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	7206  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1502.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	7207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1503.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	7208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1581.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	7209  

1976 Honda CB750F1
    1974 Honda CB360G
    1967 Series IIA

The bulkhead is quite a complex piece to restore. We spent a long time just figuring out what to cut and how the replacement panels would fit.

Last edited by Cevan; 10-21-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    1976 Honda CB750F1
    1974 Honda CB360G
    1967 Series IIA

All tacked up:

1976 Honda CB750F1
    1974 Honda CB360G
    1967 Series IIA

Looking real nice! Even though mine was not as bad it makes me wish I had done the same when it was out of the truck. Keep up the good work.

If you're going to use boosted brakes be sure to cut the opening in the footwell before you go to galvy.
    Don't worry too much about the nut plates. I found that a little heat plus a little wiggling will free them up, and you can chase the threads with a tap.
    Also, if you grind off the lip on the door pillars, you can use one piece Defender push-on door seals.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    If you're going to use boosted brakes be sure to cut the opening in the footwell before you go to galvy.
    Don't worry too much about the nut plates. I found that a little heat plus a little wiggling will free them up, and you can chase the threads with a tap.
    Also, if you grind off the lip on the door pillars, you can use one piece Defender push-on door seals.

I haven't really thought about door seals. I know the OEM one are $$$$ and I'm guessing involve riveting them in place. What is the advantage of the Defender seals? Is it that they just push on? I saw these seals at McMaster-Carr that someone here used.

On the bulkhead, I'm not going to galvanize it. It will get a good coat of a 2k epoxy primer and then color.

Not sure about the brakes yet (dual circuit/boosted vs. stock single circuit). I've got IIA fenders, which I'm not sure if they need modifying in order to accomodate the master cylinder and brake booster. Although I am on the hunt for some nice fenders, either IIA or III. What exactly needs to be cut on the footwell? There are already to opening for the brake and clutch boxes.
    1976 Honda CB750F1
    1974 Honda CB360G
    1967 Series IIA

Quote Originally Posted by Cevan View Post
    I haven't really thought about door seals. I know the OEM one are $$$$ and I'm guessing involve riveting them in place. What is the advantage of the Defender seals? Is it that they just push on? I saw these seals at McMaster-Carr that someone here used.

On the bulkhead, I'm not going to galvanize it. It will get a good coat of a 2k epoxy primer and then color.

Not sure about the brakes yet (dual circuit/boosted vs. stock single circuit). I've got IIA fenders, which I'm not sure if they need modifying in order to accomodate the master cylinder and brake booster. Although I am on the hunt for some nice fenders, either IIA or III. What exactly needs to be cut on the footwell? There are already to opening for the brake and clutch boxes.
    The brake pedal opening in the bulkhead needs to be widened slightly and elongated. If its a IIA fender, it will need to be cut to allow for the booster. An SIII fender shouldnt need the cut. Here are some links about the conversion. http://aluminumfriend.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/dual_brake_conv.htm

Good luck!

Highly recommend that you rethink that. The first 250lbs is usually $250. That's a lot of rover parts that get dipped for pretty cheap.
    After galvy, then do the epoxy primer.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Highly recommend that you rethink that. The first 250lbs is usually $250. That's a lot of rover parts that get dipped for pretty cheap.
    After galvy, then do the epoxy primer.
    Painting a galvanized surface isn't as easy as it sounds. If you don't paint it within 48 hours, the prep changes and I'm no expert painter. I think it also depends on what type of zinc is used. I'll ask the guy I talked with about what he thinks. I'd like to hear from someone who's painted one and how it's holding up.
    1976 Honda CB750F1
    1974 Honda CB360G
    1967 Series IIA

I galvanized mine and painted it. That was about 8-9 months ago and its holding up very well. I painted it about 3-4 months after having it dipped. To prep it, I washed it well with a TSP solution to clean it, and then hit it with a diluted phosphoric acid solution on a sponge (not a spray gun where it could get places and I couldn't remove it) to etch it. Given that I live in the south, galvanizing it was overkill, but I wanted to be sure I didn't have to replace the darn thing again!

Here is a link to my rebuild thread on another forum. This page begins my galvanizing process. Perhaps you'll find some useful info in there.

http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/s...-rebuild/page8

Jason