Thread: FC ENV axle swivel housing seal?

Default FC ENV axle swivel housing seal?

Does anyone know if the FC ENV axles swivel housing seal is the same as a series? I ordered some from our host and they sent me RTC3528 which is series 2a/3. I started to tear the axle apart to get at it and am doubting more and more if its correct. The only manual I can find for the axle shows a one pc seal that actually has bolt wholes to attach it to the swivel (see pic).
    any help appreciated
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    67 2A, 88", 2.5 NA, ENV axles

That is a split seal designed so that you can slide it over the ball and install it without having to dismantle the axle. It is the same design as used on a 101 because its swivel balls are an integral part of the axle tube. The 101 part number is 593688 but the parts book says that it is unique to the 101 salisbury type axle.

Sounds like you need to hunt down this:
    •Part No. 608218, Land Rover Forward Control Series IIA & IIB Parts Catalogue, August 1972, 383 pages.

Here is a link to a good forum with more specialized knowledge of the ENVs

Measure the diameter of the swivel housing where the seal sits and post some pictures of your axle.

OK it seems you should call Ike at Pangolin as he's about as close to an expert on these axles as you'll find on this side of the Atlantic.

Here is a link to his page showing an ENV convrsion. The ones he is using are most likely of a 1 ton and not the IIB type which IIRC are slightly wider. Unless they did something very special for the IIB then I'd assume you're good to go assuming they are standard swivels and balls.

Greenmeanie, thank you so much for the info and I will contact Ike. Glad to hear that its a 2 pc as I was not looking forward to getting things ripped apart.
    67 2A, 88", 2.5 NA, ENV axles

You can look at it several ways.
    1. To replace a seal you can just disconnect the brake line and steering joints after which you merely undo the swvel ball flange bolts and slide te whole end off, place the seal on and then reattach the ball to the axle. It isn't that big a job and when was the last time you swapped your brake fluid? DOT3/4 goes off after a couple of years so now would be a good time

2. If you don't want to dismantle you can carefully make a narrow cut in the normal circular seal andinstall it like that of a 101. You just need to glue the joint after you've slid the sel over the axle tube.

Its a pain but in the grand scheme of what you can get into with swivels the seal ain't a biggie.