Thread: Weber 34ICH question

Question Weber 34ICH question

1969 SIIa 88 2.25 petrol

I worked on resolving my inconsistent idle issues today - because idling had become non-existent since yesterday - it would stall without choke. Change in behavior happened suddenly so I suspected dirt.

So first I did a general tuneup - valves, plugs, cap, rotor, points, fuel filter and then after fiddling with the idle mixture and speed screws at first I thought I had it fixed but then it did the same thing again, so off came the tire and bonnet and up to my elbows in hot engine I went - again.

This time I removed the idle jet and blew it out - seemed to do the trick.

Question - what is the electrical thingamabob on the idle jet? there's a wire that goes from my coil to the end of this small canister that the jet screws into - some kind of diaphragm in the thingy controls the needle.

Does anyone know the purpose of this thing?

mike

Its a solenoid although the name/purpose eludes me at the moment. Its mentiones it in the Weber carb manual. I remember because i was having similar issues a couple of weeks ago. I'll dig out my manual again and try to post unless someone beats me to it.

anti run-on solenoid I believe. cuts off fuel when you siwtch off the ignition to reduce run on.

wish I had one, my Weber d/n.

the Weber is real sensitive to crud in the jets. i use a FI filter setup from a later Defender, seems to work so far.
    '72 Series III 88 "Greenie"
    '85 90 2.5NA "Stinky"

I also use an in line filter before the fuel goes into the carb inlet. But crud does get beyond it, clean out the underneath filter in the carb, as well as the jet,

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by pitchrollyaw View Post
    anti run-on solenoid I believe. cuts off fuel when you siwtch off the ignition to reduce run on.

wish I had one, my Weber d/n.

the Weber is real sensitive to crud in the jets. i use a FI filter setup from a later Defender, seems to work so far.
    Ahhhh!!! That makes sense! Now I get it - there's a little electro-magnet in the canister end and when power is applied it sucks back the needle that blocks the idle jet.

Thanks to all who replied.

Mike