Thread: NAS Customs Inspection at US Border ???

Default NAS Customs Inspection at US Border ???

Hello Everyone,
    Can anyone tell me what the Customs Officer will be checking at the time when I bring over a 1984 defender 90 from Canada. I purchased this vehicle back in May and it was suppose to be road ready,, but it is not even MTO inspectable. (MTO, canadian vehicle inspection)..

I am having most of the work done in CA before bring into the US, but I am looking for infor about the US Custom Inspection..
    Can anyone help ???

Steve

I live in Alaska (US Citizen) and have crossed the border on both sides about 5 times (driving to/from the lower 48) now and have never had any issues. I've always been surprised, but I have never been asked for any documentation whatsoever...one of them was even in a new car with temp tags on it, but they still didn't inquilre about it...
    Have your passport ready, and that should be about it...never even had to show a driver's license...
    The only time I have ever had to show any paperwork, was for firearms I was carrying...
    It's always been really smooth, so I hope your crossing is too.
    Sonny

I've crossed the border with a car a month or two out of inspection, they didn't care.
    Zack Griswold
    Photos/Sales
    http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

Default Custom Inspection form 7501/Importing a vehicle to the USA

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyak View Post
    I live in Alaska (US Citizen) and have crossed the border on both sides about 5 times (driving to/from the lower 48) now and have never had any issues. I've always been surprised, but I have never been asked for any documentation whatsoever...one of them was even in a new car with temp tags on it, but they still didn't inquilre about it...
    Have your passport ready, and that should be about it...never even had to show a driver's license...
    The only time I have ever had to show any paperwork, was for firearms I was carrying...
    It's always been really smooth, so I hope your crossing is too.
    Sonny
    Thanks for the reply, but the problem isn,t just to cross the border, done that many times,, it is that since I bought the vehicle in Canada I will be importing it into the USA. Before it will be allowed to enter the US, Customs must inspect it and clear it with a form 7501.. That is what I mean by Custom Inspection and that is what I am trying to find out what will they look for to comply with the 7501??? does anyone know?? I have called Customs and I don,t get a very clear answer.. Thanks,, Steve ,, ps: I used to live in the Copper River basin, off the Richardson Hwy,, Miss those days,,,

Do you have it registered titled in your home state with matching tags? Or are you flatbedding it?

I do not have it registered/titled yet, my State will not allow me to do that until they have a Form 7501 from Customs.. I might be able to get what they call a transport paperplate good for 3 days, or I will have to flatbed it...

You'll need to have EPA Form 3250-1 and NHTSA Form HS-7 completed. At the border you pay your import duty, and they will complete the Form 7501 which, as you know, you will need to register your vehicle.

Be prepared with documentation showing the build date of your truck in case you are challenged on that.
    '55 SI 86

Also, the Canadians will issue a transport permit as you noted. I did that with mine but it took a bit of time at the Canadian motor vehicle office. If I did it again, I'd just pull a plate off of something else and make sure you are carrying proof of insurance and a bill of sale.
    '55 SI 86