Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '69 Series IIA fitted with Disco 1 Diffs

Well, my feeble brain gave up on the whole leaf suspension thing after I went thru the whole power steering, parabolic, shackle, pinion angle, merry go round. That's why there's a Designa going under the 2A. Too much home brew reengineering for my taste. And my booger welds and grinding didn't make any of the schmidt any prettier that's for sure. My extended track rod was reedonkulous.
    I applaud the OP for going on with the 24 splines. I'm sure it works fine, and he seems happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    I have yet to see coil axles properly used on a leaf chassis. If you know of an example I'd love to see it.
    really? what happened to this?
    Alternately, you might consider putting pre ABS Discovery 1 or Range Rover axles under it. These come with discs front and rear, are fully compatible with the Series drive shafts, have a taller gear for better highway driving, and are easy to get parts for. For about what you'll spend on new Series brake parts you'll get both front and rear from your friendly Used parts guy and probably have change left over. They're much better axles hub to hub and the series wheels will bolt right up. Other than being a tad wider than the series axles you'd never be able to tell outwardly. Cutting off the coil spring perches and fitting leaf spring perches is a simple, tried and true and well documented Rover conversion. My $.02.
    or....
    It's all out there on the web; pictures and step by step instructions about making the coil axles work on the Series.
    how about them apples...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Definitely interested in seeing it. I have a D1 right now I would not mind using as a donor for my 109.
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

I had planned a similar conversion for a SIII with a rotted chassis and retained the axles and locating arms from my parted-out '96 Disco. I don't plan to use them ansd would gladly part with them to someone planning a venture like this. They're located in New York near the CT border.

Tom Smith

Tom, PM sent..J

I have been in the pine barrens of NJ with my series, the set up looks good and works. The D1 diffs are 4inches wider. Turning circle improves. The front diff was set at 12degrees with no uj binding. Back diff was set at 5 degrees. The truck leans slightly on the left. I was told the parbolics I got from Rovers North were not left or right handed. Still got to figure out what is causing that slight lean to the left.
    Last edited by woza; 10-25-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Sorry about the late reply. Work drags my butt all over the US and sometimes into Central America and the Carribean
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0066.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	7224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3287.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	7225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0060.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	7226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3307.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	7227
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by woza; 10-25-2012 at 11:27 PM.

The leaf spring, the shocks and the track rod want to fight over the same place. That was the most difficult part of the conversion. Back diff was a lot easier. If you want photos of the conversion Mail me at wozanou@gmail.com. Glad to help

email sent
    Neil Hanekom
    '73 LHD 88
    '75 FFR 109 exMOD Build Photo's
    '99 D1

Hey Tom what price are you looking at and are the diff 24spline. They should be being "96 year model. Let me know at wozanou@gmail.com. Thanks

Rdgs Manny Backman