Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to anti-burst door locks - HELP.

Default Upgrading to anti-burst door locks - HELP.

Is it possible to fit these and get the doors to close without a SLAM!. Seems impossible to get it to close securely with a "CLICK" not a BANG!

Any thoughts? Wonder if the fact I have new door seals (installed last summer) has anything to do with it.

Are you saying that you had the old style locks in the truck before the anti-burst locks were installed?

My anti burst locks close just fine, but I have had to readjust the doors and oil the mechanisms to keep it that way.

Yes I have upgraded to anti-burst. I'm thinking that the new door seals are the problem with an easy door close.

Well, I've gotta ask. What is banging?

Other than pushing the door out a bit, I'm not sure what the door seals could be doing that is bad.

Have you checked alignment on the lock?

Default SLAM!

This sounds like an alignment problem. Are your doors matching up to the body lines? Are the gaps along the leading and trailing edges consistent? If so then the next suspect is the latch itself. Stick your head in the window while closing the door slowly and watch the latch engage with its seat. Also examine the seat and latch for shiny areas indicating rub.

The door seals could be a problem if they aren't laying down properly, especially the leading edge since it has that dogleg.

I'm still using the old style Series II handles and they are in pretty crappy shape, but a friend has a 109 with the same early stuff and his doors click shut with just a gentle swing. When everything is aligned and all parts are in good shape the early stuff works amazingly well. Since you've upgraded your doors should shut with ease, just a matter of tracing it down carefully.

It's gotta be the door seals. The striker and clasp don't even touch until 80% closure so it's aligned properly. Everything else is good and the gaps all are even.

The striker could be too far in.
    John

Sounds like the new door seals are the culprit. I'd give it some time for the seals to flatten out.

wow. I have never seen that. I'm impressed! Does he have door seals?

Quote Originally Posted by Momo
    a friend has a 109 with the same early stuff and his doors click shut with just a gentle swing.
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME
    Sounds like the new door seals are the culprit. I'd give it some time for the seals to flatten out.
    Lots of time... At least 20 years should do it.

It has been 6 years on the 109" and my door seals are still not worn in.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.