Thread: Coolant leak comming from ???????

Default Coolant leak comming from ???????

i have a coolant leak i can not figure out were it is coming from its up front on the drivers side the head bolt is tight and it looks like it drips down i think..i replaced all the hoses and had no leak for one day then it came back..i am at a total loss ..please help. thank you...ps. it on my 92' 3.9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg 
Views:	615 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	7194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2695.jpg 
Views:	684 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	7195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg 
Views:	989 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	7196  

How are the freeze plugs?

the freeze plugs are good.

Intake manifold?
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Your best bet is to beg, borrow, or steal a cooling system pressure tester (some auto parts stores rent them), and put 15 to 20 PSI pressure on the system. There are a few places it can leak - the intake manifold (as was suggested) or the coolant temp sensor, or maybe you have a corroded nipple (sounds painful huh) that's allowing coolant to leak past your new hoses. You can guess all day long but until you put some pressure on the system and see where it's coming from you're just going in circles.
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

Pressre test is good. Did you check your lines that go into the intake manifold? I didnt read your first post correctly for some reason. Not sure about the 3.9 but the top part of your manifold should have 2 hoses that go into it to provide heat to the throttle body and prevent "icing". I know in other trucks they leak, and its not always the hoses. The gasket can go bad.

After looking at it again that is where I would start.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Take a close look at the small (1-2") pipe in the manifold where the rubber hose that runs to the inlet plenum attaches. The pipe is a press fit in the manifold. The pipe will corrode and the rubber hose will leak coolant. The repair is a new inlet manifold (!) or you can replace the pipe only. I've successfully replaced them twice - on an 1989 RR and a 1998 P38.

As noted above, the small pipe is only a press fit in the manifold. Grab the old pipe with a pair of vice grips and twist it as you pull it straight out from the manifold. Don't break it or you'll have to drill it out. The replacement pipe is available from our hosts (ETC 6503 or RNN278). Since the replacement pipe has a 45 degree bend, it is difficult to get leverage to press it in place. I've had luck coating the tube with epoxy or JB Weld and then inserting it. Once the epoxy sets, re-attach the hose.
    2013 RRS
    2006 RRSC
    2002 DII
    1998 P38 4.6
    1995 RRC SWB
    1989 RRC
    1965 SIIA 109 SW

Kind of hard to tell from the pics but most common areas on a rrc is the thermostat housing, coolant line behind the water pump , heater hoses, and last but not least valley gasket.