Thread: 1994 LWB not starting

Default 1994 LWB not starting

New to forum and RRC so just learning my way. My 1994 LWB was starting and running fine. The heater completely stopped working so I started trouble shooting with relays and fuses first. After checking fuses under passenger seat to find if blower motor fuse was bad the truck would no longer start. When under seat I also removed all relays to check if blown. Dash lights come on when trying to start and there is a clicking coming dash and from under the passenger seat. Electric is all working. Seems like electric not getting to starter. Any advice.

Thanks

I feel your pain...

Did you check the C-9 fuse in the dash fusebox as well as the under-seat relays? There is also a relay for the ignition on the steering column. Something must have happened while you were pulling relays under the passenger seat...? Full battery charge?

--ccec
    1993 RRC LWB -- One of many
    L-R's these past 30 years...

I very much doubt that there is any correlation between your rooting around under the seat and the starter not working. The starter is connected to the key switch directly. It doesn't go thru any fuses or relays. When you turn the key to START it engages the solenoid located on the starter. Plain and simple old school set up. No starter operation means that either the battery is dead or your starter.
    Have fun.

PS, thinking about it, the wire that goes to the start solenoid may have become disconnected either by old age or whatever. Check the top of the starter to see if all the wires are firmly connected.

This might help. It's from my 1993 owner's manual.

--ccec
    Name:  Starting Schematic.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  39.1 KB
    1993 RRC LWB -- One of many
    L-R's these past 30 years...

Thanks for help. It turned out that the battery needed a jump. Find this odd because all electric worked fine. Replaced the battery and been starting fine now except heater now not working. Fan not blowing on any setting and no noise when changing settings. I checked fuses and relays and all looks fine. always something but I guess that is part of the fun. Any advice on this one.

Should have been clearer on last post. Heater started working again when I got truck started. I assumed i cleaned right relay or fuse. However After 1/2 day it died again. Thanks.

Behind the heater control knobs there is a switch. It is the one that has the little snowflakes. This controls which blower fans operate. When you want AC, the AC blower fan runs. When you want heat, the heater blower fan runs. It's a this-or-that kind of switch. The fan speed is controlled by a resistor that lives under the cowl panel. When you switch the current from one fan to the other this is how the fan speed is regulated. Put the heat/Ac switch in the AC position and see if you have fan speed control. if so, then the resistor pack is good and you don't have to remove the bonnet and wipers and cowl panel. With the heat/AC switch back in heat, see if there is any fan movement at all. If no then you are hosed.
    The heater blower fan is buried inside the heater unit. if it goes bad there is no hope because taking out the heater unit is major major major surgery. You have to pretty much remove the entire dash to get to it and then it is a fiddly process to get the thing out. Once out you will have to split the halves and getting one back together is about impossible.
    Try this:
    take out the right hand cowl vent plastic thing. Using a very long (18" plus) screwdriver or the like reach way back into where the air intake is and see if you can get the blower cage to turn at all. if it turns that means the motor isn't seized. if it is hard to turn you are hosed. If you can turn it, try moving it, and then try the fan switch again. Keep doing that a few times and maybe the fan motor will come to life again.
    Good luck with it. if it is any consolation, my fan doesn't work either. However when the engine is warmed up, and the outside vent open, you get plenty of warm air inside. Just no defrost blowers, which is a bit of a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by ccec View Post
    This might help. It's from my 1993 owner's manual.

--ccec
    Name:  Starting Schematic.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  39.1 KB
    Oh yeah, forgot about all the lock out schmidt. Still, messing around under the seat won't blow up your starter.

Thanks. No fan movement or noise of any kind on any settings no matter how i move them around. Does not work on any fan speed when switched to a/c , heat or recirculating positions. Replaced relays and fuses today and still nothing. Resistor was going to be my next step. It appears no power going to unit at all. Motor blew fine when working so still hoping I don't have to undertake that. Thanks for help and I will let you know what it turns out to be once sorted out.