Thread: Proper paint scheme on a 109 station wagon roof

Default Proper paint scheme on a 109 station wagon roof

I have a 61 109 station wagon. I plan on painting it Bronze Green when I get to that point in the restoration. My question is with the roof. I have seen some station wagons with the roof and tropical top painted limestone, or just the tropical part painted limestone with the roof painted body color. What is the way it came out of the factory? Or is it just personal preference. Thanks.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

I can't give you the specific year of the changeover, but in 1961, the tropical tops of the SWB were body color top with a limestone sunsheet. the roof sides were also painted the body color. I assume this was the same with the LBW versions, as I have seen others painted this way. Sometime in the late IIa production, they went to the limestone roof sides and the all limestone tops for the SWB, and the LWB went to the all limestone top.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Not sure if this will help you or not, but the '66 IIA 88 I have had the original paint on it when I got hold of it. The roof sides, and roof were limestone. I cannot of course gaurantee that the roof was the one that the truck had on it when it rolled at the door in '66.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

TeriAnn's website has a good description of correct paint colors, see the link below.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/...ver_paint.html

To add to the confusion, MY 1966 IIa 88 has body colored roof sides and top, with a limestone sunsheet!

Travis, is your whole truck limestone?

Of course, with the 88 models, you had to get a station wagon model to get the safari top with the sunsheet, at least in 1961.

I prefer the body color top with the limestone sunsheet. I just might go with that. Thanks for the replies.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

Quote Originally Posted by Kiloengineer View Post
    TeriAnn's website has a good description of correct paint colors, see the link below.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/...ver_paint.html
    Very nice. Thank you. According to that page, my series II should have body color wheels. I'm going to buck the system and keep my wheels limestone. Body color top with limestone safari top.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    To add to the confusion, MY 1966 IIa 88 has body colored roof sides and top, with a limestone sunsheet!

Travis, is your whole truck limestone?
    Nope,
    It was pastel green. Now its bare aluminum, getting ready to be bronze green. I will probably paint the roof top, lift gate, and sides BG, and the wheels limestone.

Because I can't find whole trop top, or even just a sun sheet down here in Georgia for less than a bazillion dollars, I'm planning on fabbing a sun sheet. my plan is to paint that limestone.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88