Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of trailer weight

Default What kind of trailer weight

Just wondering what kind of trailer weights people are pulling with their series Landrovers. I move a 7000lb dump trailer and a 14000lb goose around on the front hitch but have never actually towed anything heavy with it from the rear and wondering how the Landrover behaves with weight on the rear hitch. I'm think about changing to parabolic springs but not sure yet if they could handle the weights. Comments??
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

My factory hitch, which is the 52mm ball with built in pin, has a rating of 3,500kg or 7,700 lbs. The most I've towed is about 4,500 pounds. My 88" with 2.25 struggles to pull that much weight up steep mountain hills. Get up to 45-50 on the down hill and brakes become an issue, not running trailer brakes. I have the stock springs, they are 10 or 12 leaf. The chassis seems to hold the weight well it's the acceleration and braking that is lacking.

That is interesting to note that the factory hitch is rated at 3500kg I didn't know that, if the factory installed a hitch with that rating they must have expected people to use it as rated and that is comforting to know, that is more than I expected TBH. My 2 inch receiver is bolted to the rear frame member which is new and carries through to the front side and then across from frame rail to frame rail so I have no doubt it can handle the hitch weight. Electric brakes are required on any trailer over 2000lbs here so all mine have them on all axles and I recently wired a 7 pin plug into the rear of the Landrover for towing. My rear springs have had a thicker extra leaf added many years ago but they are getting tired and perhaps it's time for parabolic springs. I hear what you are saying about acceleration or lack of it, the 2 1/4 L gas engine struggles without a load. Anyone else that tows with their Landrover?
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

i tow with mine all the time, but never a huge load really. i just haul stuff to the dump, but i do it often.
    i have towed some very heavy loads a couple of times. I couldn't really guess at how much most of my loads weigh, but i have towed a boat with a dry weight of about 1700 lbs. It towed fine, but i was a bit nervous, and wouldn't want to take it down the highway or anything. The engine struggles, and the brakes struggle once you do finally get up to speed. Down country roads with limited speed is fine.
    I would not want to tow more than about 2000 lbs just based on the one time i towed the boat.

Default 7500 lbs

Sorry but there is no way an 88 is rated to tow 7500lbs. A V8 RR isn't, and it has 4 wheel disc brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alk-3 View Post
    i tow with mine all the time, but never a huge load really. i just haul stuff to the dump, but i do it often.
    i have towed some very heavy loads a couple of times. I couldn't really guess at how much most of my loads weigh, but i have towed a boat with a dry weight of about 1700 lbs. It towed fine, but i was a bit nervous, and wouldn't want to take it down the highway or anything. The engine struggles, and the brakes struggle once you do finally get up to speed. Down country roads with limited speed is fine.
    I would not want to tow more than about 2000 lbs just based on the one time i towed the boat.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

Quote Originally Posted by JimCT View Post
    Sorry but there is no way an 88 is rated to tow 7500lbs. A V8 RR isn't, and it has 4 wheel disc brakes.
    I didn't say my 88 would tow, 7,700 but that's what the plate on my hitch says.
    Name:  photo10.JPG
Views: 596
Size:  116.7 KB

I don't know what the weight is but I've towed 2 cu yds of wet mulch just not very fast.
    Jim

Default 3500kg

Bet that is in 4 low and not over the road

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME View Post
    I don't know what the weight is but I've towed 2 cu yds of wet mulch just not very fast.
    Jim
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

I tow a 22" boat back and forth to a boatyard from my house twice a year - 5 miles each way. Total weight is about 4,000 lb.

The experience? I don't recommend it; Very squirrelly, to say the least. My stock engine is new and it struggles big time on the hills.

Surprisingly, the brakes do pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCT View Post

why quote me? I didn't say it. i don't know what it's rated for, just telling you my experience.