Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of trailer weight

Hitch rating and vehicle rating are two very different things. I have a 2" ball rated at 6000lbs on the hitch of my Toyota matrix. But I can bet the car isn't rated for anything close to that. The data plate on my ser III 88 says 2 tons and refer to the owners manual.

The whole idea of towing 7700lbs in a series with drum brakes might qualify for a Darwin award.
    D1's were only ok with that weight in low range on road!

I have been doing some research and found these figures in quite a few places.

Max. Permissible Towing Weights On-road Off -road
    kg lb kg lb
    Trailers without brakes 500 1100 500 1100
    Trailers with over-run brakes 2000 4400 1000 2200
    4-wheel trailers with continuous 3500 7700 1000 2200
    or semi-continuous brakes, i.e.
    coupled brakes

As you can see the difference from a boat trailer with surge/over run brakes is vastly different to a 4 wheel tandem axle trailer with electric brakes. Such a trailer is equipped with brakes capable of being applied independently or in conjunction with the vehicle brakes and are capable of stopping the trailer by itself so the Landrover just has to stop it's own weight.

I have searched for a data plate with such numbers on mine but one doesn't exist and there is no evidence of one ever being installed. Does anyone have an owners manual they could read the data from?
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

What Arlow said.

In some jurisdictions, Land Rovers are rated up to 4000kg, but the rating includes a braked trailer from 750kg. That is because the vehicles are designed from new to pull that much weight, but a 30-50 year old vehicle will not perform the same as a new one.

Will it pull it? How long is a piece of string? Will it stop? How many knots can you tie in the string?

The high ratings are expressed for farm machinery and the like (short distances). Heavy loads over long distances are only recommended for LWB vehicles, while SWB vehicles will cope on short pulls. If you dig up an old owners' manual, you will see diagrams that illustrate these.

The hitch itself may not be rated to pull the capacity of the vehicle, and 750kg limits are common for domestic (family car) vehicles. Even a rated coupling may not be fit to pull to the capacity described in the plate, especially if it too is 30-50 years old. For example, bolts may become rusted or weakened from pulling or recovery snatches.

Parabolics of the right type are perfectly fine for towing with: very large trucks commonly have parabolics on them. From those I have seen/heard with parabolics and use their vehicle to tow with
    Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
    2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Oops, let's try that again:

Parabolics of the right type are perfectly fine for towing with: very large trucks commonly have parabolics on them. From those I have seen/heard with parabolics and use their vehicle to tow with, they recommend and use the heavy duty spring combinations (three leaves IIRC) but standard duty springs will compress too much. If you experience lateral movement, then you have other problems to address.
    Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE

Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE

Good research fellas,
    I was looking for a data plate after Arlows post but couldn't find one. All in all pretty impressive stats for a little 3,000lb truck.

Quote Originally Posted by disco2hse View Post
    Thanks for the link and I see that 4000lbs is max draw bar for the gas while the diesel is 700lbs LESS and the diesel only weighs 144lbs more, which really doesn't make sense, perhaps I'll only use my 3500lb trailer with electric brakes.

I hauled a 7000 pound cargo trailer from Vermont to Denver with no problems. Used a 1972 SWB Station Wagon with a 155 hp Rover 3.5 V8, high range transfer case, 1 ton 109 axels and drive train (3 inch brakes on 11 inch drums), 4 leaf para rear/ 2 front, and most important; 4 computer controlled electric brakes on the trailer. Did the 65 to 75 mph speed limit except in the mountains, where 55 to 60 was easier on the engine as it has electric fan cooling. With the right setup and loading of trailer, braking is not a problem, engine power and torque can be if you have the wrong gears or engine for the task at hand. I have 28 years and more than 1 million miles of Military SWB driving experience and set my Landie up special for this trip. Normally I would say 2000 pounds without trailer brakes and up to 4000 pounds with, depending on the specs of your Land Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by BGreen View Post
    I hauled a 7000 pound cargo trailer from Vermont to Denver with no problems. Used a 1972 SWB Station Wagon with a 155 hp Rover 3.5 V8, high range transfer case, 1 ton 109 axels and drive train (3 inch brakes on 11 inch drums), 4 leaf para rear/ 2 front, and most important; 4 computer controlled electric brakes on the trailer. Did the 65 to 75 mph speed limit except in the mountains, where 55 to 60 was easier on the engine as it has electric fan cooling. With the right setup and loading of trailer, braking is not a problem, engine power and torque can be if you have the wrong gears or engine for the task at hand. I have 28 years and more than 1 million miles of Military SWB driving experience and set my Landie up special for this trip. Normally I would say 2000 pounds without trailer brakes and up to 4000 pounds with, depending on the specs of your Land Rover.
    While I would like to use my 7000lb tandem dump with the Landrover, I have always tried to comply with the legal limits. When you are towing something that might look commercial even if it isn't you stand the chance of getting stopped as my son found out towing this very same trailer. He was within limits had the registration for the trailer and had a bill of sale for the contents of the trailer but the fines are very steep and the inconvenience of having to drop the trailer and come back with something bigger to tow it is not worth the risk for me even though I have owned this particular Landrover for 35 years this year and I am very confident driving it.

I am curious by the term "computer controlled" brakes, Do you mean a "MaxBrake" controller that senses actual brake pressure or do you mean a brake controller the same as every other one I know of that just senses a reduction in speed of the tow vehicle and makes a calculated guess at how much braking to apply to the trailer, or is there something else out there I don't know about?