Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.5 na water pump conversion

Well, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I don't remember exactly how the fan was swapped. That was over two years ago now I think. I was just out to take a look under the hood but can't see any more then in the picture. There is obviously something behind there for the fan to bolt on to and I seem to remember a round flange sort of thing. You don't seem to have that on your water pump. The spacing was a bit off hence the four new holes for the bolts. I will see if I can't remove the fan over the weekend to shed more light on the set up.

Brett
    Series 3 88 Diesel Soft Top
    Ex-Mod 110 Tdi

That would be great if its to much trouble
    Thanks so much
    Aaron
    73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
    67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
    88 RRC sold
    60 mga coupe

OK, here is a pic of with the fan removed. Looks a lot different then yours. This was a new pump bought a year or so before the swap. It is a 2.5 NA diesel water pump so maybe yours came off something else. Mine originally had the viscous fan but I removed all that down to that flange, then modified the old 2.25 petrol fan and simply bolted it up. Dead easy mod and totally eliminates the need to go electric.

BTW Arron, I was going to say you owed me big time for the hassle, but while I was mucking about under the hood I discovered why the alt. light has been flickering. The belt was way loose and the bolt holding the adjusting bracket to the block was about to fall out. So turned out to be time well spent.

Anyway, good luck with the swap.

Brett
    Ex-Mod 110 Tdi

If I would have known that's the picture you were going to get Brett, I could have saved you the trouble--I have a 2.5 viscous water pump sitting on a shelf, with all the other parts of my disassembled engine.

Well, at least you found that loose bolt.

Out of curiosity, how did you enlarge the center hole on the fan so it would fit around the viscous fan threads on the pump? In other words, how did you keep it perfectly centered and cut it out?

Incidentally Aaron, I googled 2.5 diesel rover and sherpa water pump images and NONE of them look like your fan attach. Weird.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Grrr. Taking the fan off was easy peasy. Getting it all back together was a pain in the butt. Trying to hold the pulley and fan together and in place while trying to find the hole in the flange was an exercise in futility. Could have use a third and possibly forth hand. Then I finally got smart and cut the head off a spare bolt to use as an aligning stud and it went back together nice and slick.

Not too sure how the hole in the fan was cut. We did the engine conversion at my fiends shop. He is a metal fabracator and has a nice selection of welders and machines. He did the mod while I was busy with something else. I will ask because, well, I really should know myself.

Brett
    Ex-Mod 110 Tdi

Thanks so much
    Yeh my pump is definatly different
    Guess lll just pickup a non viscuse 2.5 pump
    I assume that should work?
    Sorry for any hassle
    Thanks
    Aaron
    67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
    88 RRC sold
    60 mga coupe

Aaron,
    I believe that when Matt did mine, he got a non-viscous pump, fan and the rest of the necessary bits from RN. If not from RN then RDS.
    Jim

Great
    Thanks guys
    I'm going to start a tread here soon on the fitting
    Aaron
    67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
    88 RRC sold
    60 mga coupe