Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What would you do?

Very helpful. Thank you.

When used correctly on hills a overdrive can actually improve your speed. When the truck is heavily loaded or pulling a trailer sometimes 3ed gear overdrive is the perfect gear. I split gears all the time, with the handle for the overdrive cranked towards the driver and a little practice it can all be done in one move with one hand. Its best only to use in 3ed and 4th where you don't put too much torque on it but I find reverse overdrive to be real handy in the mud. It gets the wheels spinning that much faster to help clear the mud.

Our 109" now has the high ratio transfer case. I do like it but always still reach for the overdrive feeling like I could get more from the truck with it. I think the high ratio box is great if you have a real strong motor, a 88", or really want to eliminate the weak overdrive and can deal with the taller gears.

With all that being said you have to understand them, they are a asset and a weakness. I have blown up two and now travel with the required parts to remove it and run without it.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ArlowCT View Post
    With all that being said you have to understand them, they are a asset and a weakness. I have blown up two and now travel with the required parts to remove it and run without it. Good luck!
    What a good idea to just keep the removed parts under the seat instead of in the shed, I'm relocating mine. Do you think you blew up the two because of lack of lubrication? Mine came new with a sticker for the dash saying to "check the oil level weekly".
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

The first one had the drive gear and nut fall off the transmission output shaft. This caused the teeth to get chewed up some as it was most likely loose for some time. It was fully rebuilt with new parts as needed. The other one let go internally. I cant recall what it was because I did not personally rebuilt it. It did have some oil in it at the time and was not run dry but the truck was running a ton of highway miles at that point. It was most likely overheated again and again due to low oil and the maintenance schedule of a 17 year old!

After that lesson learned, I check the oil often and can say this one has been on the truck for almost 12 years now with no issue. But you will always find those replacement parts under the seat in my truck!

Quote Originally Posted by ArlowCT View Post
    The first one had the drive gear and nut fall off the transmission output shaft. This caused the teeth to get chewed up some as it was most likely loose for some time. It was fully rebuilt with new parts as needed. The other one let go internally. I cant recall what it was because I did not personally rebuilt it. It did have some oil in it at the time and was not run dry but the truck was running a ton of highway miles at that point. It was most likely overheated again and again due to low oil and the maintenance schedule of a 17 year old!

After that lesson learned, I check the oil often and can say this one has been on the truck for almost 12 years now with no issue. But you will always find those replacement parts under the seat in my truck!
    Tell me about the replacement parts.. I bought my truck with the OD installed (Fairey) and don't have the original cover or other required pieces to effect a roadside removal should it fail - what is needed?
    Mike

1969 Series IIa 88 2.25 petrol

It's been 30 years since I did mine but I think it was just the cover and a single gear, might need a new lock washer.... I'll dig my bits out in the spring and put them under the seat. Could look up the installation instructions, that might help.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.