Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 2A 5 door alignment issues

Default Series 2A 5 door alignment issues

I have a 69 Series 2A 109 5 Dr. The vehicle was said to be a frame off restoration. The 6 cyl. was replaced with a 2.25 Petrol. The vehicle dips or sags to the LH driverside. The gap between the rear wheel and rear side panel on the driverside is about 2-3 inches, the gap on the passenger side is about 4-5 inches. She looks somewhat cockeyed headed down the road. The fan blade also brushes the radiator shroud towards the driverside. I'm thinking either I have a twist in the frame, or she was reassembled by someone who didn't have a clue, including the 6 to 4 cyl. conversion, or this is pretty much the norm for this truck. Any advice on where to start.

Can't say for sure over the internet but some of it could just be general poor Rover build quality only some though. I think the engine mounts are different from 6 cyl to 4 cyl. so how did they achieve that swap? Almost sounds like they didn't know what they were doing or didn't care about their workmanship.

Original factory frame or replacement?
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

The first thing to suspect are the springs. I assume they are the original 11 (or whatever) leaf units, yes? At rest there should be a nice sweeping arc along the length and no splaying at the ends or daylight showing between any of the leaves. If they seem OK in that regard, then look at the angle of the shackles. They should be the same one side to the other. Then inspect the rubber bushings for wear. If those check out, the next thing would be something horrible like the spring mounts on the frame have rusted out and pushed up into the chassis. Since it is supposed to be a recent frame, this doesn't seem likely.
    Where to start? Throw us some pics of the truck sitting on a level surface, the underside, and the springs.
    If you do need springs, it is one of the least horrible and most satisfying DIY jobs you can do on your truck.
    You'll get to enjoy the wonders of burning out chassis bushings, sawzalling shackles and bolts, installing bushings, etc.

Give us a location, too. If you're close, stop on by and I'll take a look at it for you.

As mentioned first suspect the springs especially if it was parked on uneven ground. Over the years I have had mine re-arched a number of time along with adding an extra thick leaf to the rear and mine is now leaning again so thinking about parabolic ones.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

[QUOTE=I Leak Oil;90786]Can't say for sure over the internet but some of it could just be general poor Rover build quality only some though. I think the engine mounts are different from 6 cyl to 4 cyl. so how did they achieve that swap? Almost sounds like they didn't know what they were doing or didn't care about their workmanship.

Original factory frame or replacement?[Original frame with a lot of weld and new steel in areas. The work really doesn't look that bad, but I am concerned about the straightness. Not sure about the engine conversion. Everything appears to be solid. ]

I'm up in Maine, around the mid-coast area. I have the truck in storage for the winter. Right now the undercarriage has a cherry appearance, even if it is out of wack. Not sure if I'm going to keep the vehicle at this time, so I'm trying to keep it clean until I decide. The winter roads in Maine are nasty on vehicles. The truck is also a heater delete vehicle, it came from South America. I'm going to try and get her driving right next spring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3237.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	7486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3253.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	7487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3282.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	7488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3280.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	7489

I attached a few photos. A lot of work was done to this truck, but I'm thinking the quality of work was not so good.

It's hard to tell from the pic but that looks like a 4 cylinder bulkhead. Rest looks awfully good. I suspect the springs. Someone added helper leaves to the rears as though they were already sagging.