Thread: Body/tub lift kit for SIII?

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

Default Body/tub lift kit for SIII?

I'm considering adding a little lift to my SIII via a raising the body/tub, ~2". I've lifted just the body on other trucks and it met my need/expectation very well. And, I've been around 4X4s long enough to appreciated the secondary ramifications of lifting the chassis vs body..... But, having trouble finding vendors of body kits for Landys.

Ok, fine-fine, it be could just be my horrid search skills. If that is the case, can you help a guy out? Does anyone know of a 2" body lift kit for SIII? Or, is that just not done on Landys?
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

Though people have lifted the body of Rovers I don't know of a liftkit per se for the body because it is not as simple as just putting in spacers. The way the Rover body attaches there need to be all sorts of different pieces put it in because the body doesn't just drop down and have 'vertical' fasteners, many are horizontal.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Well in addition to looking horrible with a two inch gap between the tub and rear cross member, you will need to sort out the bulkhead foot mount, the steering column, the radiator and grille, and the handbrake among other things. Nobody makes a body lift kit for Series because it's just not something anybody does to their trucks.
    Thing is that having to re engineer so much stuff makes it something that you would probably do only when doing a frame swap.
    I mean the only reason to do a body lift is to gain tire clearance. There are many ways to achieve that without a body lift.

It's not your search skills, it just isn't typical to lift a series rover body. Depending on your welding skills it should be easy enough to simply lift the body. I would think the harder part would be dealing with the steering and gear selectors, parking brake lever, fuel filler. Then if you chose to, making some filler panels to make it look somewhat right.

Post up if you decide to do it. Could be a cool project.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

People's Republick of Cambridge & Malpais CR

Thanks guys. Sound like a PITA. Think I'll scheme otherwise. Anyone make 235/105/16 mud tires
    The Toltec Coffee fleet....
    96 FZJ80: 3XL, lifted, and shaved
    94 FZJ 80: our Costa Rican coffee and surf mobile
    70 Series IIA 88: After 18 months of wrenching, its alive and legal to drive!
    70 Series IIA 88: in US on H-1B visa
    56 Series I 86: a whole new type of rover hell....

Years ago I stuck a 109 wagon body with rotted frame on a 1980 110 wheel base Toyota 4X4 truck using the Toyota frame and power train with 33 inch mud tires, looked really wild and would scrape under a 7 foot garage door. I called it a "Toy rover". The transplant was quite simple but the R22 engine was lacking in power.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Parabolics with military shackles will get you an easy 2-3 inches. You can run 9.00x16 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Parabolics with military shackles will get you an easy 2-3 inches. You can run 9.00x16 tires.
    You will most likely need to look into pinion wedges (at least for the front) if you go this route.

Another option is to relocate (lower) the spring mounts at the front of each spring in combination with extended military shackles.