Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and Have Some Questions

Default New and Have Some Questions

Hello everyone, I've been researching many of the posts on this forum but have found a couple questions I can't answer. I purchased a LR 1961 2A 88" a few months ago. I got it pretty cheap and there are lots of reasons for the low price. It had been setting in a barn for at least 10 years and needs lots of tinkering. I got it running quite well but the clutch is doing something odd. The clutch pedal pushes down fairly hard and clutch takes a few seconds to engage after the pedal is let up. I guess I was wondering if anyone has ever had the flexible line going to the slave become swelled to the point that it restricts fluid movement. My second question is about 15" wheels. I only have four and can't find them for sale from the usual places including RN. If anyone knows where to find one or has one they would part with please let me know. I have never posted anything before so I hope this all comes out right. Thanks for listening.

Welcome!

If the flexline is old and has not been changed, perhaps the inside has started disintegrating and created a restriction. Are you sure there is no air in the system?

I would replace the clutch flex line out of principle because the truck sat so long. I've got some spare 15" wheels. Where are you located?
    Jim

I would replace not only the clutch flex line, I'd do the master and slave cylinders too. Ditto the brakes. Especially the brakes if you plan to drive it.

Most likely the input shaft flange on the gearbox is corroded and not allowing the release bearing to slide effortlessly over it, or the splines on the input shaft are corroded, resulting in the same action. I have seen cars sit for far longer in worse areas and never seen hoses swollen up. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, nor that the finest materials ever created by man that naturally are used in our Rovers aren't susceptible to deterioration, just never seen it in my professional career in restoration and classic car care (although with cars that sit for a long time I like to change them anyway, cheap and I don't like to take chances). Change the hose though its easiest, then if it doesn't fix the issue you know what to look for next. I would plan to go through the brake hydraulics too.

15" wheels, dime a dozen, I just gave away 2 sets... I prefer 16"

head on over to gunsandrovers.com lots of answers and knowledge, good series guys.

The degradation of the flex line is a common issue due to either time or someone using the wrong fluid. This is most likely the issue but I'd follow what others have pointed out and be prepared to address all the rubber components of the hydraulic systems. These don't like to sit and the older rubber doesn't like certain types of brake fluids. It's relatively cheap insurance.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Congrats on the 88 and joining the forum. Lots of great info here, and help! I think you have diagnosed correctly the swollen flex line is the likely culprit. That being said and possibly the case, I'd figure the brake flex lines are due for a change too. One other thing that occurs with these components when they sit is corrosion on the inside of the slave/master/wheel cylinders behind the rubber seal and before the piston. This causes the pistons to not function properly(sticky). You might want to replace all the hydraulic components with the possible exception of the hard lines. Blow them out with air and you are probably good. If they are steel they can rust out. Land Rover recommends changing the hyd fluid every 18 months or so. Like Jim-ME says post up where you live and someone near you might have 15" rims to pass along.

gene

Jim-ME - Thanks for the info. I am located near Ithaca NY. Is a wheel something you could put in a box and send. I would be happy to pay whatever the shipping would cost.

Many thanks to everyone for all the info. I shall pull at least the hose and the slave and go from there. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by CKubinec View Post
    Many thanks to everyone for all the info. I shall pull at least the hose and the slave and go from there. Thanks again!
    The clutch master cylinders are cheap to buy, and do corrode internally from sitting, I would change it out at the same time also then if it still sticks you know it's not the hydraulics.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.