Thread: Capstan winch parts

Default Capstan winch parts

Is there a stateside source of Fairey capstan winch parts? I'm looking for a worm gear, mine is pretty corroded and will probably trash an otherwise good bronze gear.

Thanks all,

Hankster110

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR Wreath 005.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	7521

If you find a source for parts, please post it up!!!

If no luck, perhaps you could polish the gear?
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Default Capstan parts

There is a source on ebay, in Germany, selling driveline parts and complete rebuilt winches. Pretty pricey but the quality looks exceptional. I'm afraid a replacement worm gear will end up being used, if i find one at all. Mine is corroded with deep sharp pits, may it can be repaired with Devcon E-metal as a last resort.

Name:	Winch parts ebay.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	7592

Yeah I've seen the German winch guy on ebay, he has a website selling the parts too. A guy in the UK makes driveline parts and mounting plates for these winches also, he sells on Ebay too. But the gears will be tough. You could get one made if you sent it to a gear place but I'm sure the $$ would be insane. You might try emailing a few of the big UK rover parts suppliers, who knows they might have some NOS Fairey parts , or perhaps wold consider parting out a winch.

I just found and bought a capstan for my truck which is apparently missing a few parts too. The search goes on. . .
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Can you post a picture of the gear? It may help people come up with ideas on how to fix it or a correct replacement.

Default Capstan gear pics

Here it is. Machined in one piece, threaded on front end to accept hand crank receiver. Cross drilled on input end, I assume for shear pin.

Name:	Capstan gear 001.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	7595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capstan gear 003.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	7596

Are there pits like that on the face of the tooth?? if they're like the edges there, thats pretty bad, but if the face is any better I'd probably run it.
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

I'm real interested in what pitch those threads are. It looks like ACME threads to me. If it was and a standard size, it would be a easy part to make out of a small piece of ACME threaded bar stock. If you were to remove it and send it too me there is a chance I could make a new one for you for the cost of the materials. Anyone know what the threads are for the starter dog?

Depends on the material the Acme bar stock was made of..............I have a machine shop near me to help ID the stock material.
    Tooth faces are corroded in places as bad as those seen in the photo.
    BTW, Further research leads me to the conclusion I have an Aeroparts AEH D winch.