Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Registering a 1978 Series 3 in California

Default Registering a 1978 Series 3 in California

Wow!

Dan found a helpful DMV employee. That's about as likely as a new USA Defender on the showroom floor.

Terri Ann, maybe you can shed further light on other grey market rigs in California. For example, you may recall a certain 130 crewcab owned by a certain San Francisco resident? That rig is now in greater Los Angeles, legally registered. Any idea on how the importer accomplished that? Was it a matter of just getting diesel smog certificate?

Hope you've figured out your airfilter conundrum...and good to see you at Mendo!

Regards,

Mo

Quote Originally Posted by Momo
    Terri Ann, maybe you can shed further light on other grey market rigs in California.
    There was a time when a person could import and register a gray market vehicle legally. So there are a number of vehicle imported During the 1980's and before that are still properly titled and registered in California. Sort of grandfathered in. You just haven't been able to do that for over a decade now. I've never looked closely at the regulations after they changed beyond making sure my vehicle stays on the legal side of emissions requirements.

For example, you may recall a certain 130 crewcab owned by a certain San Francisco resident? That rig is now in greater Los Angeles, legally registered. Any idea on how the importer accomplished that? Was it a matter of just getting diesel smog certificate?
    I do know how it was done but I can not comment on that in a public forum. Ask me when you see me in person.

Hope you've figured out your airfilter conundrum...and good to see you at Mendo!
    I think I'm going to use a small diameter sealed canister type filter mounted to the underside of the front wing. I'll add a very short snorkel to place the filter intake above the wing and use a precleaner. I just did not like the idea of the whole air filter sitting on the wing top and a tube going between the filter and mass air sensor that has 3 sharp bends in about a 15 inch length. I just don't have enough spare $$ to buy the components yet. I frequently need a lot of time to engineer a solution. I'm fairly good at it but very s-l-o-w at it.

Good to see you too Mo. Sometimes I think I've become too much of a loner and should to get out around people more often.

Take care,

You are all correct. I used to work at a shop in the SF Bay area of CA. When importing grey market cars was at its peak. In an effort to insure that California recieved the amount of tax dollars and DOT as well as ARB requirements. The state has all but nixed the grey market auto business. A typical example of the Emission testing requirements of the Now only 2 certified labs, includes but is not limited too. A 24 hour shed test in which said vehicle is only allowed a few hydrocarbons of fuel emissions while at rest in a sealed room. Something as small as a vented fuel cap can cuse it to fail. the problem will need to be isolated, repaired then retested all at the owners expense. I just wanted you to be aware of that particular hoop, of many they will make you jump through to register a direct import that must meet the model year smog requirements for vehicles destined for California. Which by the way are some of the strictest on the planet besides japan. SMac
    1970 Series IIA 88" Petrol